My care

dietfizzy

I just need some help regarding my care. I have been type 1 for around six years. I have good control and my HB is 6.1. I'm generally in good Heath. Today I received a letter from my hospital to cancel my appointment to see the consultant. I was supposed to see him in may and then it was changed until September. The letter I got today said I didn't have an appointment for the foreseeable future. I just wondered if anyone else was having this problem. When I contacted the diabetes Center I was told just make appointments for blood tests with my g.p . So at the min I am dealing with my own care. I'm not happy at all about this. And find it all a bit worrying. I live in manchester and I am under the Pennines acute trust.

jopar

I know in some area's they are transferring some T1's who they deem to have no problems back under the care of their GP/surgery diabetic clinic/DSN...

Your surgery, DSN will carry out all the tests to monitor, tackle any normal issue or seek the advise of the GP, then if necessary refer you back to the hospital is something needs sorting...

Dependant on whether you have control problems etc, you can always have a word with your doctor to see if he will refer you back to the consultant, or perhaps if you've got another diabetic clinic at a different hospital near you, ask your doctor to refer you there's instead..

If you got good control, happy with at the moment you've got no pending issues then just insure that your DSN is keeping up with the necessary reviews, and if anything changes then ask at this point to be referred back to the consultant..

I have to see the consultant, as I use an insulin pump, but only see him once a year when I have a combined consultant/DSN 30 minute pump appointment... The rest of my review bloods etc throughout the year are done by my surgery DSN... But if I feel that I need to see the insulin pump team or my consultant any earlier then I just phone them..

dietfizzy

Thanks for the advice I will give my Nurse a ring. I have good control it's mainly the lack of information. I know my local diabetes clinic is very busy. Thanks again