My CGM results

Dollyrocker

I went to have my CGM taken off this morning and to go through the readings. I have to say I think 2 days is nowhere near long enough to start identifying trends but hey ho.

The DSN seemed to think that my Lantus is too high and has told me totry treducing it by 2u a day. I gave up telling her I'd already tried that after the third time so I just smiled and nodded :roll:

She also gave me a handout about hypos as after 15 years of being diabetic I obviously have no idea what they are :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

So all in all it was a bit of a pointless excersise though she has done a total U turn from when it was put on and has decided that a pump would be ideal for me having told me the opposite on Monday :shock: she's still insistinjg that I have to do the Dafne course despite the fact I've been carb counting for the last 3 years, I've told hetr I can't take 5 days off work so she's going to try and get me an assessment with a dietician again to see if I can be put forward for a pump without jumping through that hoop.

I left the office feeling pretty fed up with the whole thing, I've been trying so hard for years now with barely any effect as the insulin regime just doesn't work for me and i'm so tired of it. I went home and cried to my boyfriend :(

Now it's the waiting game again for this assessment then waiting again I expect for my specioalist to agree to the pump, even though it's him who encouraged me to sstart the process

jopar

Dollyrocker

I think you need to download a copy of the NIce guide lines to show the nurse, as on the NICE guidelines it doesn't say you have to attend a carb counting course DAFNE or otherwise to be able to have a pump!!!

They are using this little gem to stall people from going onto pumps, which is basically ilegal..

iHs

Hi Dolly

Although you're a bit fed up with the wait for a pump, the good news is that you will get one :)

In the meantime, although you know how to count carb, do you know how to work out a ratio for different meal times? I never realised how much this could alter my bg control but once I read between the lines on some of the messages posted on the forum and used targets to aim to regarding corrections, I no longer felt as though I wasn't getting anywhere.

If you have got an Accu Chek bg meter, phone them up and ask to be transferred to the Pump department and ask them to send you some bg monitoring diaries for pumps. These diaries contain columns for basal, bolus, correction bolus and carb. You'll soon get yr control sorted better by studying yr bg results against the above so that you make the appropriate changes. What you've got to try and do is inject enough bolus insulin so that you stay within healthy targets. For many it's not so much that they are using an incorrect amount of basal, it's more that their carb ratio is not right or they are over correcting. There's an awful lot to be said for testing bg levels 6 times a day and using targets.

You don't need to do a DAFNE course to get a pump ( I didn't do one and neither have a few other people) but it does help a fair bit to know about carb ratios before you start pumping.