LindsayJane
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 609
- Location
- Taunton
- Type of diabetes
- Type 2
- Treatment type
- Diet only
- Dislikes
- Housework - hate housework with a passion - and rude people.
I still have such a long way to go! Learning a new way of eating/cooking/shopping at my age is not an easy thing. I was brought up beleiving fat is bad for you, eggs will give you heart attacks, carbohydrates are essential for a healthy gut... all the usual rubbish. It goes against the grain and I still feel guilty for putting cream and not 1% milk in my coffee. Peace and love to you x x xThis makes me so happy to see, a supportive GP! You're going from strength to strength there!
That’s what happened to me too. It is hard to break through those habits.I still have such a long way to go! Learning a new way of eating/cooking/shopping at my age is not an easy thing. I was brought up beleiving fat is bad for you, eggs will give you heart attacks, carbohydrates are essential for a healthy gut... all the usual rubbish. It goes against the grain and I still feel guilty for putting cream and not 1% milk in my coffee. Peace and love to you x x x
Do we go to the same surgery??Well.... my cholesterol/HDL reached 5.1 this week and consequently the surgery upped my Atorvastatin to 40mg. My Trigs are elevated at 2.8mmol/L (which should be down to my bacon-in-butter diet).
I'm not happy at the statins dose which I imagine will result in higher BG, followed by a suggestion of re-introducing the Met-flipping-formin.
Does this seem like sound medical advice or should I just grow a pair and refuse the new meds?
Well.... my cholesterol/HDL reached 5.1 this week and consequently the surgery upped my Atorvastatin to 40mg. My Trigs are elevated at 2.8mmol/L (which should be down to my bacon-in-butter diet).
I'm not happy at the statins dose which I imagine will result in higher BG, followed by a suggestion of re-introducing the Met-flipping-formin.
Does this seem like sound medical advice or should I just grow a pair and refuse the new meds?
I have heard quite a lot of people say that their Cholesterol increases for the first 6 months or less on eating LCHF foods, then their Levels go back to normal. I usually have yearly blood tests due to a heart attack 15 years ago now. They check my Cholesterol along with other things. I do not know if mine went up because I started the LCHF straight after my last blood test. I have been on LCHF now for nearly 2 years and my last test a year ago was fine. I am due for my next yearly test next month. I really would not worry as it seems common when first going LFHC.Phew - thank you! I have an appointment with the doctor on Monday and I'm expecting him to offer me statins - I don't want statins and hope he doesn't prove too argumentative. Logic had led me to believe that LDL woud increase at first - I am losing weight so therefore my fat cells are smaller and will be pushing stuff out into the boodstream for my liver to take care of.... is that a correct analogy?
I researched this and agree but it was still a bit of a shock seeing the latest results. I'm happier now I've spoken to the Doc. I was surprised that he agreed with me though, about the high fat part, that is. He's supporting me in the LCHF/ketosis lifestyle, which is such a relief! I had visions of being encouraged to take statins for life, which I really do not want. I'm glad for you that your levels have normalised and am expecting mine to do the same. Thank you for your input - it's much appreciated.I have heard quite a lot of people say that their Cholesterol increases for the first 6 months or less on eating LCHF foods, then their Levels go back to normal. I usually have yearly blood tests due to a heart attack 15 years ago now. They check my Cholesterol along with other things. I do not know if mine went up because I started the LCHF straight after my last blood test. I have been on LCHF now for nearly 2 years and my last test a year ago was fine. I am due for my next yearly test next month. I really would not worry as it seems common when first going LFHC.
Phew - thank you! I have an appointment with the doctor on Monday and I'm expecting him to offer me statins - I don't want statins and hope he doesn't prove too argumentative. Logic had led me to believe that LDL woud increase at first - I am losing weight so therefore my fat cells are smaller and will be pushing stuff out into the boodstream for my liver to take care of.... is that a correct analogy?
I did - surprisingly my doctor agreed with me! Miracles do happen.If you really don't want to take statins... Tell them. I was brow beaten to take them... I just said NO!
Lots of info on the web why they are NOT the answer.
Good for you Lindsay. The point I feel is that there is little to no proof they do any real good for most people. Plus the side effects are often quite extreamI did - surprisingly my doctor agreed with me! Miracles do happen.
This test was a recall as the previous one oddly was a non-fasting one and showed high readings. Last food was 7.00pm the previous evening and only black tea to get me out of bed.Did you fast for this test? If not that is most likely why your trigs were elevated. They would be out and about in your blood stream doing their job sorting out your last lot of food, especially if you had a lot of fat. What was your HDL?
Sounds like it!Do we go to the same surgery??
This test was a recall as the previous one oddly was a non-fasting one and showed high readings. Last food was 7.00pm the previous evening and only black tea to get me out of bed.
HDL was 1.0 mmol/L, LDL 2.8 and Trigs 2.8 mmol/L. (And non-HDL was 4.10mmol/L).
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?
We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:
Do you accept cookies and these technologies?