My diabetes has gone

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are not diabetic now, you never were (although the 8.9 A1c would indicate that you are). There is no cure. More tests are needed to give you a proper diagnosis. It sounds like you simply discovered your diabetes in the very early stages and have controlled it with the meds and lifestyle changes

Maria, whilst I respect your opinion, there are many, current, forward thinking views on Type 2 Diabetes; how and why it occurs, and what may be done to physiologically turn the clock back, with hopes of maintaining that significantly improved situation for a very long time.

Many sceptics spark up at this point with "but what about over a lifetime?", and of course it is true that the "lifetime" scenario isn't well understood, because lifetimes simply haven't elapsed since some of these breakthroughs have been made.

Diabetes, and T2 in particular isn't a straightforward condition, because it is, what I term as, a portfolio condition. Many, many things seem to be at the root cause. For some it is lifestyle, for some it's genetic, some it's the longer term use of steroids or certain other life-saving life saving medications. and for some, there just seems no obvious reason, but it's all under the umbrella of T2. Oh, and before anyone gets terribly upset, I'm not saying T1 isn't complex, but it is usually complex in very different ways.

For myself, I was diagnosed almost exactly 3 years ago now, and you can see my serial HbA1c scores in my post signatures. I managed to grasp control of my condition and have achieved something I didn't know was actually possible at the time.

I try not to give it a label. Some like cure, some reversed, some remission, some resolved and others well maintained. It could be called Doris for all I care. I'm more concerned with my metabolic markers and health remaining in a good place for as long as possible.

The messaging the mass majority of T2s are given at diagnosis is the chronic, progressive mantra and the messaging of holding back the dam of ill-health and complications. I have no enthusiasm whatsoever for a life of complications and declining health. My enthusiasms is for a life of energy, adventures and a certain amount of mild hedonism. When individuals are not given an messaging of hope at the time of diagnosis, why would they bother making an effort. Why wouldn't they just get their meds regime established right up from in their efforts to hold back this diabetes dam.

As I say, Maria, if your beliefs are where you are comfortable, then I wish you well, but there's much reading to be done out there in my experience.

I will add that not everyone can manage to achieve the sorts of results some of us have. Sometimes for a different portfolio of reasons that isn't possible, but surely that fact it isn't guaranteed isn't a reason not to give it a go. There may come a point in my life where I am faced with medication and/or complications, and I'll just have to deal with that, in my own way, come the time, but for now, I've aimed high. I do feel for those who try so very hard, but can't get themselves back over the line, no matter how much effort thy invest. I applaud them their efforts.

Good luck with your condition. We all need a margin of it in life.

KittyKatty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is amazing , so congratulations . Its a journey I hope to complete myself - including the dress sizes ( two down so far)

I do have one question though. If you have dropped five dress sizes and got rid of all medications you probably look and feel fantastic and better than you have done in years. Why do you even care how foods that were toxic to you behave now?. Surely even if the answer is you " could " eat them because you are " cured" - why would you want to open yourself up to the temptation of finding you can then eating more of them? even if you are free from diabetes, isn't that a potential path to the dress sizes expanding again?

If it were me I think I would leave them well alone. The carb cravings were the downfall for many of us. It sounds to me similar to a recovered alcoholic saying now I managed for five year without - one small drink won't hurt. So if you feel you must test to make sure you are fully recovered, please don't forget its just a test and then leave them in the garbage can again.

Hi Cherry,

In my earlier post I said I have no plans to touch chocolate, cakes and biscuits ever again. My uncontrollable cravings for them were very destructive and I have no plans to be in their thrall again :) I hated the incredible thirst, the nodding off during the day and the terrible leg cramps that I suffered pre-diagnosis. However, I'm going to buy a new blood glucose cassette to test how I react to savoury "meal time" carbs ie bread, potatoes, rice and pasta. I'm curious. As I've stated in an earlier post, I'm not convinced that I'm "safe". Just because one GP has this reaction to my consistently low readings, it doesn't mean I have to take just his word for it. It could be that he doesn't delve much into diabetic cases as the Practice has a nurse to take care of all that. She might have seen more cases like mine.
I'm delighted with what the GP has said but I feel it's too good to be true. If I have potatoes I fall asleep about an hour afterwards. Surely healthy people don't do that.:meh:

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done @KittyKatty . Ive been where you are but cannot prove it. Ive had type 2 for 40yrs.
Please please any sign of cravings during your experiment jump straight back on low carb. In my experience our only saving grace!

Reactions: ziggy_w

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @KittyKatty my HbA1c has been sitting at 34 for nearly 2 years now which is great but the one problem I found was that without getting my Hb test done every 3 months I did find it harder to stay motivated. The odd chip here and pasta there did eventually come.back to bite me. Always keep testing as it is the key to staying on track.