My diabetes Journey so far

• Thread starter Deleted member 45091
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 45091

diagnosed at 9 years old didnt really understand it much injected into an orange for some practice 2 days later i was out of hospital...My dad brought me some maltesers in the hospital that was a big no no. Had the peeing strips to test sugars and syringes that i used to flick the air bubble out. had regular hypos but they were very slow so for the next so many years just ate regular was super fit swimming fastest runner in my school. And everytime i went for a check up all i got was i cant believe youve always have perfect sugars so didnt really tell me much. As the years rolled by finished school started work still had good HBA1cs but was just feeding my insulin and put on about 4 stone in weight. Then with work the drinking started as i was having high amounts of insulin i sort of got away with drinking lots and lots of beer. Changed my regime to the basal bolus when i was around 27 didnt get on with it threw everything out ended up losing alot of weight and just couldnt get my diabetes back on track. That was a few years ago after a while cut my hours down at work then eventually through feeling **** and tired and generally awful had to give up. Back on my famous 2 injections a day which i prefer i know its old fashioned these days but thats just me. Only problem is HBA1c 10 percent cholestral around 6 percent and still dont feel great. Have considered a pump or basal bolus again but at the minute decided to stick with the 2 a day. Ive sort of fell in a catch 22 cos of my sugars being high i have no energy, plus i can feel hungry and weak with high sugars, its been a rocky road since being out of work and diabetes etc **** anxiety problems start setting in big time. Ive struggled leaving the house going in shops etc and i havent caught a bus in over 5 years.. But my other issue is i wont take tablets id prefer to sort things out myself... Well as it stands recently got married to my beautiful wife which has stood by me.. We went for a nice walk round the park which yes is very basic but for me its a big achievement. And i noticed whatever iam eating or rather changing all my insulin doses etc etc that little walk around the park brought my sugars down very well without hypoing, made me feel abit more energetic. So my sugars have been a bit too high, but had all tests done liver kidneys feet circulation eyes all ok. So think maybe its time to get my ass off the settee and start geting out there abit more.. dont get me wrong still got along way to go but while i was younger excercise was automatic, but iam now 32 and realised just a small amount of excercise can keep that machine ticking... Just thought id share my story :D

leahshort

Thats great Danny to feel more positive. I'm 30 and have had diabetes since age of 12 and its draining. Little changes can make a whole lot of difference long term well done

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You've brought back a few memories Danny with injecting in the orange :)

Pleased you've started to turn things around with regards to your diabetes management, it does sound like you'd benefit from using an insulin pump so suggest you discuss this with your diabetes team......and keep up the exercising :thumbup: