My Diabetic Birthday

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I knew it had to be about now, but yesterday marks 12 months since I was diagnosed as a T2 diabetic. It's been quite a year, of hard work, adventures, excitement, joy and at times deep frustration. Of course, not all of those adjectives apply to my diabetes, but then nor is my life. In many ways, I can't believe where the time has gone, and in others, it seems like a lifetime ago.

There's plenty of life, love and fun left in this old girl yet. That I may have turned my back on some sorts of carbohydrate feels like a punch I can roll with. For anyone starting their journey; take heart. Once the fog begins to clear and some understanding dawns, you'll find this thing is an inconvenience, and certainly not a show-stopper.

Thank you to everyone who has made my journey, thus far, a blast.

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Birthday AndBreathe. It's been really great sharing the last year with you. :) Here's a little something for your special day:-

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
450_499_csupload_33408383.jpg

have a great day

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Happy birthday AB :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooooh. What a fabulous cake. Do I see a haggis on those hills? ;)

My brother would love that cake. Do you make it? if you did, I'm in serious awe at your decorating skills!
I wish, just found it while hunting (google) for haggis in Northants, We Scots get everywhere.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a thoroughbred Scot. (I don't live in Scotland, though.)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
All the very best,you have done so well.
I always read your posts,They have helped me a lot.I get my results this months.It was 54 on June,but been on the diet since then,so hope for improvement,Its just over a year for me,I value this forum,I relise we get a few nutters that come and go,but thats internet,anyone can write anything,but people have needs I suppose ,even if they are not diabetic.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Belated Diabirthday greetings, the first year is always the worst.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
happy birthday to you, I'll have some yogurt, desiccated coconut and berries to celebrate

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Unhappy "B Die, teas" all around

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
whilst I'm sure you'd rather not be " celebrating" this, you have done so well and like so many on here used this as an opportunity to make changes in your life. I think that is what a newbie needs to see- that it is possible to have a great if not better life than before x

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
whilst I'm sure you'd rather not be " celebrating" this, you have done so well and like so many on here used this as an opportunity to make changes in your life. I think that is what a newbie needs to see- that it is possible to have a great if not better life than before x

Thanks cold ethyl. You're right about preferences!

I had already started making metamorphic changes in my life before all this came to light, to address a work/life balance that wasn't appropriate for someone whose partner was already living his dream. The diagnosis merely confirmed my thinking had been right, and galvanised a more widespread set of changes than I had (ever!) anticipated.

Then we find the silver linings............

Life is good. :happy:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I like dis and dat and a little more a dis
It's strange as this morning I was taking stock of MY first year coming up in November. It was quite the bombshell back then and thankfully I found this site and got some direction. Hammered the carbs and dropped the 35 pounds in less than three months and went back to the lab and pulled a 5.2 for that period. Self testing to see what foods worked and then in the Spring another lab test confirmed all was well. I'll go for the annual checkup end of November. The idea of no breads and potatoes (especially for breakfast) had me worried when this hit the fan but almost a year later I've no craving for them. Breakfast this morning? Two sunnyside fried eggs, two grilled tomato slices, carmalized onion, five paper thin crisp slices of summer sausage, and grilled asparagus (all done up in olive oil). A king couldn't have eaten better. I'm having a ball.

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's strange as this morning I was taking stock of MY first year coming up in November. It was quite the bombshell back then and thankfully I found this site and got some direction. Hammered the carbs and dropped the 35 pounds in less than three months and went back to the lab and pulled a 5.2 for that period. Self testing to see what foods worked and then in the Spring another lab test confirmed all was well. I'll go for the annual checkup end of November. The idea of no breads and potatoes (especially for breakfast) had me worried when this hit the fan but almost a year later I've no craving for them. Breakfast this morning? Two sunnyside fried eggs, two grilled tomato slices, carmalized onion, five paper thin crisp slices of summer sausage, and grilled asparagus (all done up in olive oil). A king couldn't have eaten better. I'm having a ball.

Thanks for sharing this, it's so encouraging for all of us to hear success stories. You have motivated me to try harder again:)

Reactions: 3 people