My "Diabetic" tattoo

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dishonest people, routines, arguing, having to explain my actions too much, being high, being alone.
Hi!
So I'm 18 and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this May..
After being diagnosed , my life changed.. at first it seemed for the worse, but just after 2 months I seemed to pull myself together and realise , that thanks to diabetes I've become a much stronger and confident person.. I could go on about this , but that is not why I'm writing..

So for the past few months I had decided of getting my first tattoo and I wanted it to represent who I am.. So I decided to tattoo "Diabet1c" somewhere..
But when I mentioned this to my friends, they all were very disapproving.. they kept saying that that is weird and depressive that I am planning to ink my diagnose on my skin forever.. They kept giving endless arguments like "others will look your way with disapproving looks" and kept comparing it to HIV and similar diagnosis saying "do you think it is normal to tattoo HIV somewhere?"

But the thing is I didnt care .. I was confident about my choise despite their arguing..
So 2 weeks ago I got my tattoo.. and I kept it quiet from those friends , cause I really had enough of them telling me I'm nuts or smth..

But , yeah, of course they now know and today I had to go though several more talks..
Thing is I still don't regret it and don't see it the way they do..

But what is truly bothering me is that they don't get it , that it is not supposed to be a negative symbol or smth..
Is is not secret that there are actually a lot of things nobody of them agrees with me , but I really wished that at least they would accept my decisions and not put me down..

---
So that is my story..
And the reason why I shared it is because I just feel so alone in this.. I started thinking that they just don't get it because they are not like me (diabetic i mean)..
So I want to know a fellow diabetics (or non-diabetics) thoughts on this situation..

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
My brother who got diagnosed t1 4 years ago has got a diabetes tattoo as well. I think it's cool and really each to their own. I like his tattoo but it wouldn't be for me - good for you that you did it even if all your friends didn't really get why you wanted it :)

Reactions: 2 people

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be a bad idea to forget it's your body, not theirs. Please never lose your willingness to talk about your diabetes, the western world needs more people like you. If your tattoo means people ask you to explain more about diabetes, that's a very good thing. Point out to your friends how misunderstood diabetes is, and how you are helping to break down barriers.
That said, if I was getting a tattoo relating to diabetes, I would probably have gone for a syringe bringing a hammer down onto the word diabetes :p

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Sounds like your friends don't really understand diabetes and are more worried about their reactions - it obviously makes them feel uncomfortable - than about your needs.

I think it is a very positive thing to have the tattoo - acknowledging that you have accepted the new you and are comfortable with it.

When they finally find a cure for T1 you can always have it removed ;-)

Just ignore the issue, and if they just can't leave it alone then move on to more caring friends.
If they can't support you, then I would step back and look at them good and hard.
Perhaps they are more into themselves than into being your friend.

Cheers

LGC

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dishonest people, routines, arguing, having to explain my actions too much, being high, being alone.
My brother who got diagnosed t1 4 years ago has got a diabetes tattoo as well. I think it's cool and really each to their own. I like his tattoo but it wouldn't be for me - good for you that you did it even if all your friends didn't really get why you wanted it :)

Thanks! I felt good after doing it despite the negative comments from friends. :)

Reactions: 4 people

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It would be a bad idea to forget it's your body, not theirs. Please never lose your willingness to talk about your diabetes, the western world needs more people like you. If your tattoo means people ask you to explain more about diabetes, that's a very good thing. Point out to your friends how misunderstood diabetes is, and how you are helping to break down barriers.
That said, if I was getting a tattoo relating to diabetes, I would probably have gone for a syringe bringing a hammer down onto the word diabetes :p

One of the benefits of having this tattoo is that it could bring awareness to others, who aren't even sure what is Diabetes.. I was one of them before I got diagnosed.. so I'll definitely keep talking about it :)

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sounds like your friends don't really understand diabetes and are more worried about their reactions - it obviously makes them feel uncomfortable - than about your needs.

I think it is a very positive thing to have the tattoo - acknowledging that you have accepted the new you and are comfortable with it.

When they finally find a cure for T1 you can always have it removed ;-)

Just ignore the issue, and if they just can't leave it alone then move on to more caring friends.
If they can't support you, then I would step back and look at them good and hard.
Perhaps they are more into themselves than into being your friend.

Cheers

LGC

Yeah, I am hoping that in time they will at least accept my decision.

There is also an option to tattoo the word "was" or "ex" before. :)

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sounds like a cool tattoo I got my first tattoo a diabetic themed one and now I am thinking of adding to it.

Cool, what have you tattooed?
And did your close ones support you on your choise?

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im type one. Id never let anything "represent who i am" much less a disease. Taking on such a belief, is in my opinion a bad one. id of opted for a diabetic wrist band

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Im type one. Id never let anything "represent who i am" much less a disease. Taking on such a belief, is in my opinion a bad one. id of opted for a diabetic wrist band

Thanks for your opinion :)
But I have heard a saying that it's only a disease , it's also a lifestyle (a one that you did not choose though) :)
And , if given the right attitude , it feels like a good change (well it has been for me) , for example, I never would of thought that I'd be actually eating healthy and strangely I'm not craving sweets as often as I used to. Also before being diagnosed I hated cooking, because I was bad at it and I only knew basic skills.. now I quite enjoy it since I give more thought to what I am eating.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
So I'm 18 and I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this May..
After being diagnosed , my life changed.. at first it seemed for the worse, but just after 2 months I seemed to pull myself together and realise , that thanks to diabetes I've become a much stronger and confident person.. I could go on about this , but that is not why I'm writing..

So for the past few months I had decided of getting my first tattoo and I wanted it to represent who I am.. So I decided to tattoo "Diabet1c" somewhere..
But when I mentioned this to my friends, they all were very disapproving.. they kept saying that that is weird and depressive that I am planning to ink my diagnose on my skin forever.. They kept giving endless arguments like "others will look your way with disapproving looks" and kept comparing it to HIV and similar diagnosis saying "do you think it is normal to tattoo HIV somewhere?"

But the thing is I didnt care .. I was confident about my choise despite their arguing..
So 2 weeks ago I got my tattoo.. and I kept it quiet from those friends , cause I really had enough of them telling me I'm nuts or smth..

But , yeah, of course they now know and today I had to go though several more talks..
Thing is I still don't regret it and don't see it the way they do..

But what is truly bothering me is that they don't get it , that it is not supposed to be a negative symbol or smth..
Is is not secret that there are actually a lot of things nobody of them agrees with me , but I really wished that at least they would accept my decisions and not put me down..

---
So that is my story..
And the reason why I shared it is because I just feel so alone in this.. I started thinking that they just don't get it because they are not like me (diabetic i mean)..
So I want to know a fellow diabetics (or non-diabetics) thoughts on this situation..

Can we see?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@MartaSmusis

Tattoos are a personal thing - the best tattoos, in my opinion, are ones that mean something personally to the wearer. To be honest your friends probably just don't get it for that reason.

I never understood why anyone would ever put a permanent (well, they're semi-permanent now) mark on their body and never gave it a second thought more than that. I always appreciated the ones with good artwork but, never fully realised the why.

That was until I had a reason to get one myself! I now have a tattoo that means the world to me!

I get it now as I have a reason that means so much to me to get inked up.

If your friends are being judgemental then I guess they're not truly friends - they may just be being 'young' but, you should tell them politely that you'd appreciate them accepting it's your choice.

---------------------------------------
Well I've been both polite and not.. and just asked to accept my decision.
I guess that topic is more or less over with them, because one of the last things that was said is "ok, do what you want.. it's you who is going to have to live with it" as if it is something horrible (well to their mind it apparently is)

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well done you! :happy: If people judge you for having a tattoo that is their problem.
I think you did what you needed to do for you.
I applaud you. Some people have a tattoo round their finger instead of a wedding ring.
They have all sorts, a tree on the one partner, an owl on the other partner.
Or a wedding band in a celtic design.
It's art. It's also something people have done as a marker of an important time. Good or bad.
So don't ever listen to other people telling you what to do, if it's what you want you go for it, every time.
:happy:

Yea, that is what I am doing lately with things .. just following my gut and instinct no matter what.. and so far I haven't regretted that :)
Just hate it how one of the many arguments was that "I wasn't even consideing their opinion , when they said I should not do it" I did, but that doesn't have to mean that I am going to do as they say. I thought it over and realised I don't agree. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember another young type 1 diabetic (Nicola) having a discussion on here about getting a diabetic tattoo, and we've had other threads about tattoos - diabetic and otherwise, so I think you'll find you've got new friends (your own age) on here who can understand your tattoo and reasoning behind it.

Robbity

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Attachments

• IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 191
Reactions: 8 people

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sounds much more like they are not liking your strength, resenting their recent inability to control you. :rolleyes: if that makes sense ;)

Well to be honest I am recently staring to stand up for myself and to think with my own head.. A year ago or so I'd probably never do something if someone would disapprove it. And I really do mean it when I say that after this spring I've become much stronger..

Maybe since they are so used to seeing me the way I was, the can't seem to accept it just yet.. or maybe ever.. :( They did express the concern that I'll truly regret it when not only my friends are going to think it was a bad idea.. They are more than certain that sooner or later I'll break and realise that they are right.

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I remember another young type 1 diabetic (Nicola) having a discussion on here about getting a diabetic tattoo, and we've had other threads about tattoos - diabetic and otherwise, so I think you'll find you've got new friends (your own age) on here who can understand your tattoo and reasoning behind it.

Robbity

Hey! Thanks for the help. :)
Other than just to mainly speak with people with similar issues and lifestyles , that was my purpose to join this forum - to find friends , who can relate to me and I can relate to them :)

MartaSmusis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good for you! That's the right attitude for life - you'll go far. :)

I may be wrong but, from what you say they sound like they're up their own backsides and full of their own self importance. If they can't agree to differ and accept your decision then frankly they're not worth your time. Find better friends - these ones are trying to hold you back.

Set your own limits - don't be limited by other peoples perceptions.

I've a feeling you're a fabulous person! :D

Thank you! This means a lot ! :)

Well I don't know if it is just not that right period of my life or smth , but for the past 3-4 years I've had to doubt almost every friend I've gotten close to.. Over the 1st year of friendship it is going fine, but later it ends up with them not understanding me and me not understanding them.

Anyways, I'm quite focused on my studies as it is my last year of high school , so I'm already managing to not make a huge deal to hang out with the people who tend to bring me down..

Hopefully the future will bring something better, because I've truly been longing to finally find someone who would get me (at least half of the time would be a step up already) :)

ashleyb6

Cool, what have you tattooed?
And did your close ones support you on your choise?
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1415405552.878322.jpg

A few of my friends and family were a against it but they came round eventually I just said I it can be used as a medical aid if I ever pass out and I have attached a picture I drew it myself.