My diabolical clinic

Trinkwasser

pedro606 said:
A nurse rang me a couple of hours later and told me I was a diabetic.

Reminds me of an old Two Ronnies (?) sketch where they are Policemen and knock on someone's door to tell them her husband has been killed in a road accident

"Mrs Jones, we're calling about your late husband!"

Who treats you may depend on your PCT, in many places only Type 1s can be treated by an endo or other hospital clinic, Type 2s are stuck with Nurse Rachet or Dr Clueless

At worst, moving might be a plan, treatment and options may be radically different only a few miles away.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
Natalie said:
I also got transferred from my local surgery clinic to a hospital one - got absoloutely appalling treatment - was taken off fast-acting insulin and put on tablets, left with readings in the teens and twenties for 8 months, then was eventually taken of ALL insulin and put on Byetta...all because my "expert" nurse was convinced I was Type 2! As I and everyone else suspected, I'm Type 1 and was in hospital within 24 hours with severe DKA.

While I was in hosp they offered to take me on at their clinic, and told me that I could have contacted them and asked to go there instead (wish I'd known that!), because my readings were so bad - hba1c was 16.5!! So I think if you contact the hospital and explain why you want to change they might well take you on. They're prob all different but worth a try for good treatment :)

As a side note, I'd like to mention that I complained to the surgery in a letter that detailed everything I'd been told wrongly, ignored about, neglected on, etc...mostly 'cos I was really bitter that I'd had to spend my 21st bday in a hospital bed! Obviously I thought something should be done but I didn't really expect anything to come of it except apologies, just wanted to vent my anger! But went to the docs recently and found out that because of that complaint, they've completely changed their clinic, and have replaced my nurse with a doctor who actually knows what he's talking about! The nurse in question can no longer alter treatment or prescribe now, because they actually took it seriously!!

Just wanted to say to everyone that sometimes complaining about your **** treatment IS worth it, it doesn't always fall on deaf ears and you might be able to change the services to prevent other people being in your situation

x

Natalie, sorry to hear about your treatment, it sounds awful. I guess I'm never alone in these situations... also the other situations here are bad also. At the moment I'm fighting to get animal insulin on a pump....or even animal insulin, as I've never asked for the pump before. It has fallen on deaf ears of course with my past requests but I'm going in with a list and some ammunition this time. It is my third request so if third time lucky has anything to go by... well....wish me luck everyone!!

wpaisley

I agree, complain, complain, complain. You might find like me that you are stuck with the same GP because no other doctor will take you. However I am persuing my complaint and I will stop those idiots treatimg other like me.

PS Find out as much as you can about diabetes so that you can correct their errors. HbA1c 6.4