1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My first 3-month Diabetes Review

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Sheila L, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Sheila L

Sheila L Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thanks very much for your encouragement!

2. Sheila L

Thanks very much for the encouragement!

3. Sheila L

Thanks very much!

4. Sheila L

5. Sheila L

Thanks very much for your reply and encouragement. It certainly seems to have caused a “stir” my eating porridge for breakfast (sorry, really bad joke!) I know others on the Forum advocate having a meter and they think it really strange that I am eating porridge. Although the boiled eggs sound quite nice, I’m still not sure that I could eat them for breakfast. I don’t think I’m ready to abandon my porridge just yet!

I’m really pleased that you’ve found the Forum helpful and supportive and that you are doing well. It is good to know that there are so many others with the same condition, who can offer their help and that we can gain from the experience of others.

Thank you very much for contacting me. Best wishes with your diabetes.
    Sheila

6. presidentholmes

presidentholmes Type 2 · Member

Well done you, we both have very similar situations. I am intrigued by the hereditary diagnosis. My paternal grandmother, my father and his sister all had diabetes, type 2. They were all very thin, I am fat . I asked a doctor if they can tell if it is hereditary and he told me that there is no test that can determine that. Did they do a specific test on you to determine that? If so, can you tell me what it is as I’d like to find out more. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. presidentholmes

Yes, I have porridge with blueberries, cinnamon and chia seeds. A whole lotta health in that bowl.

• Like Like x 1
  8. presidentholmes

This is intriguing. I will have my bowl of porridge with bluberries, cinnamon, chia and skimmed milk and definitely check my blood sugar 2 hours later. Intriguing...most intriguing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sheila L

Thank you very much for your reply my Post. I am very pleased with my recent test results, as indeed my doctor was also. It was not my own doctor who told me that my diabetes is hereditary. It was another partner/doctor in the practice who phoned with my blood results and told me I was diabetic. He called me immediately to the surgery and put me on Metformin. I’m not sure how he determined that my diabetes is hereditary. I certainly don’t think it was based on any tests; it just seemed to be a statement of fact based on his opinion! It may not even be correct.

I was overweight at the time of my diagnosis in May. I have since lost a lot of weight and of course, I have been following this strict eating regime of avoiding all the things I love. The two combined brought my HbA1c down from 110 to 50.

I’m sorry I can’t give you any help concerning tests for ascertaining whether or not your diabetes is hereditary.

With kind regards, Sheila

10. Sheila L

I’m glad I’m not the only one on this Forum eating porridge! Sheila

11. Sheila L

All the best with the testing. It is intriguing. I shall certainly be very interested to hear what effect eating porridge has on your blood sugar. I shall be very upset if I have to stop eating porridge - I think it’s about my only permitted treat!

Kind regards, Sheila

12. Sheila L

Thanks very much. Sheila

13. Sheila L

Thanks very much. Sheila

14. Sheila L

Thanks very much for your encouragement. Yes, it is a shame Autumn is coming - I love summer. Sheila

15. Syd

Syd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congratulations @Sheila L. You are going in the right direction and should keep on doing what you have been doing and that includes eating porridge.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Sheila L

Thanks very much for the encouragement, Syd. I’m glad you approve of my porridge! Sheila

17. Jase_

Jase_ · Newbie

That's inspiring, well done!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sheila L

Thanks very much!

19. Sheila L

Thanks very much. Sorry I missed replying sooner.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook