My First Attempt at a Low Carb Cake

Lovejoy00

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought some Coconut Flour to try a few recipes, however I thought I would try and replicate a cake, swapping normal flour for Coconut flour (albeit less) , and sugar with Xyliltol (half the amount), 2 eggs and some rasberries. The mixture was a lot less than I expected, hence it isn't very high!

It tastes ok, mainly of rasberries and decassinated coconut!

upload_2018-4-14_17-8-4.png

My rough nutritional value is below. I will see how I react in 2 hours. I admit it could be lethal to some, depending on how your BG reacts to Polyols.

upload_2018-4-14_17-6-54.png

Edit: If you exclude the Polyols it's under 3g a slice .

Update: 2 Hours Later - (I basically ate half the cake, so about 5g of sugar/carbs and 50g of Polyols) - reading was 5.9!

Last edited:

amazinglyso

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Languages, Technology, creativity, welfare of animals and indigenous cultures.
I think it totally amazing you made your own cake, let alone a low-carb one!. I am useless at anything with flour no matter what kind. Coconut is an excellent source of fibre and lactose-free yet so versatile - would love to eat some of your wonderful creation now if it could be transported via the internet!. :)

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks good, @Lovejoy00! It reminds me of that pud/cake/tart with toasted desiccated coconut on top of a layer of jam - Manchester tart? - and you've got me thinking: almond pastry, chia jam, toasted coconut. It's the custardy layer that'll require work.... I only make slow-cooker choc cake (divine with cream) so yours would make a change (if it's not a 'spiker').

Reactions: Aly67

amazinglyso

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Languages, Technology, creativity, welfare of animals and indigenous cultures.
That looks good, @Lovejoy00! yet wouldn't ever recommend Jam, Jute or Journalism on your already perfect creation!. Far too many media reports out there about artificial sweeteners - Coconut by far the most healthiest choice.