My First HBA1C

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Well I just got back from the docs. My first HBA1C result is in.

And it is *drumroll* 6.1

She seemed over the moon with it. Then she said I did have diabetes but if I continued losing weight and all that, then I wouldn't have diabetes. :? My cholesterol is good, but she didn't tell me what the result was. No medication or anything; I have to go back in 3 months.

So is that good?

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Congratulations on your A1c VBee.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Thanks. :D I don't really know what it means, but it's not... bad.. is it? :?

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
No it's not bad, it's good. The NHS target is below 7.5%. NICE Guidelines promote an A1c between 6.5% and 7.5%, so you've helped your practice meet one of its targets :)

Depending on who you talk to, the normal range for A1c can be between 4.5% and 6.1%, more accurately it is laboratory specific and your GP should be able to tell you what their normal range is.

HbA1c indicates average blood glucose over the previous 120 days. It's a little more complicated than that because your more recent BG levels affect the A1c more than that from 2-3 months ago. For a given A1c value the contribution of the blood glucose is:

1-6 days very low
7-30 days 50%
31-60 days 25%
61-90 days 15%
91-120 days 10%

Regards, Tubs.
Regards, Tubs.

Reactions: 2 people

Trinkwasser

Pretty good for a beginner! <G>

Before you know it you'll be back in the fives just like normal people, but that won't mean you are no lopnger diabetic, just that you are in that elite but ever increasing group of well controlled diabetics.

basher132

By coincidence, I also have had my 1st Hba1c result today, coming out at 6.2% . When quizzed about what "normal" was , the doc actually said this varies from lab to lab, and the one that the practice uses has the range 4.3 - 6.5 as normal. He also was really pleased with this result, and coupled with the normal liver and kidney function results told me to keep doing what I'm doing.
Also in this collection of tests was a cholesterol test result of 4.4, which i was *really* impressed with, especially as I was getting non-stop nagging at home to get this one done !

I broached low-carbing with him, and he trotted off the healthy diet line, but then said you must be doing something right. Now, I haven't been a carb nazi since diagnosis 6 weeks ago, but I have cut the bread consumption in 1/2, and have started reading the labels very closely for carb content, and have been cutting down on them.
Also, I've had my 1st diabetic eye screening, and have spent most of the afternoon looking like I am on drugs .
Cheers,
John

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Had the blood results back today

not in the menopause.......yet
thyroid normal
kidneys normal

doc tried pushing me onto diet tablets.....but I declined

New doc so I asked his opinion regarding statins and ace inhibitors he didnt see the point of me taking either......am liking his style so far

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Very well done to both of you, VBee and John!
The 'target' value for HbA1 here in Scotland is 6.5-7%. In reality, the average figure for all diabetics I believe is North of 9%! Truly scary.
So 6.1 and 6.2% in either context is a great achievement. Truly non-diabetic values are still somewhat lower, but if you got down into that level on your first outing lots of people would be tempted to use their discarded sharps of your voodoo dolls :shock:

All the best,

fergus

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
YAY VBee ... very good work and even if the exact figures are a mystery to many of us - a REDUCTION is what we're after ... next time, you'll be in the fives!!!! xxx

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
wotchya, thanks babe!

he went back to school after 3 weeks off for the op ... for one whole week before some other little urchin yakked up on him, he then had the last week off school with the lurgy :( ... poor lad missed all the fun Xmassy bits!

still he is defo on the mend now ...

cheers for asking lovey, xxx

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
That excellent. My diagnosis hba1c was 10.8% nurse wanted it down to 8.5% without meds by mid dec, but am putting off getting reading till mid jan because by my own calculations my 9 week average has been 6.55%

Trinkwasser

hoolyuk said:
That excellent. My diagnosis hba1c was 10.8% nurse wanted it down to 8.5% without meds by mid dec, but am putting off getting reading till mid jan because by my own calculations my 9 week average has been 6.55%

You show them! <G>