My fitness pal

lindiloo62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I am tracking my food and wondered if anyone could tell me the ratio between fats /carb/protein thanks .

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is entirely up to you. There are no rules.

Once you have calculated total calories you need, you then need to enter how many carbs you want to eat, then protein, then all the rest is fat.

Reactions: lindiloo62

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Only to add what @Bluetit1802 said

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8371446
Caveat emptor: remember that the calories and nutritional values are a ballpark value and in this application are a crowdsourced data taken from table or nutrition fact labels.

So I think you should follow some reasonable standard on what you are going to eat and not al sweets are created equal.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to use MFP but found I had to do my own research on nutritional values and enter them myself because a large number of entries are incorrect. Many are from American sources where the fibre is included in the total carb amount. Many seemed to be made up as they bore no relation to my own research. You have to take them with a pinch of salt, and remember it is calorie orientated, not carbohydrate.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. The values are wrong a lot. I used to use it but found it unreliable.
Now I use the old pencil and paper and www.calorieking.com. It does not take out fiber but you can subtract it yourself. Not sure if theirs a U.K. Option.

I do find it much more reliable

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I prefer to use supermarket website nutrition details or the actual details on the packaging. For fresh foods with no labels or packaging I use the Carbs & Cals. book.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to use MFP but found I had to do my own research on nutritional values and enter them myself because a large number of entries are incorrect. Many are from American sources where the fibre is included in the total carb amount. Many seemed to be made up as they bore no relation to my own research. You have to take them with a pinch of salt, and remember it is calorie orientated, not carbohydrate.

I've recently started using Lose It and had the same issues. The app does have the option to enter your own foods, so I've ended up doing my own research and adding all the foods I regularly eat. A bit of a pain to set up, but fine once it's up and running. It also focuses on calories rather than carbs.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lindiloo62 hello, I use my fitness pal and have done for two or three years now. I find it really useful. I update values if I find they are wrong but many are correct. I like being able to track my food intake, exercise, weight and measurements and exercise all in one place. I hope you find it useful.