My Journey to Dex G5 and xDrip+

Breck Lundin

Hi all... I'm a. new guy from California an hour north of Santa Barbara near the ocean. And I have issues... lots & lots of issues...haha...i do tend toward gallows humor so give it right back to me.

I'm T2 and on Novolog pen plus Victoza. Was on Victoza only for almost 10yrs. Victoza was amazing until something flipped the switch. A1C went from 5.4-5.9 to 19 or 20.

Novolog is only about 8months in... them came month of February when i didn't notice i needed to send new forms to continue the insurance.

It was my fault completely. Just couldn't afford the meds. Oh, i did at least have three Victoza pens (ordered on 02/31. I forgot to refill the Novolog as i still had a pen

Novolog was good addition that had level improving, Got a1c back in the 5.9-6.4 range.

Then came February and the wheels came off. I started give in to the carb craving...my a1c was 19 one month ago om Monday. We'll see how it goes at doc appointment Monday (tomorrow). But first gotta pee in that cup or no pain meds. Doesn't the US have just the "ideal" healthcare system? oops, that's a discussion for another time.

Anyway... I received the G5. Interesting gadget giving me the constant monitoring i needed to behave myself.

There were, however, a few omissions when they were figuring out my needs. First is nobody informed me i had to have a flagship phone to run the software. I'm an old man in IT terms which was my stock in trade. so I'm disappointed in that detail. I live my Moto E5 Plus and its 5000mAHr battery. Runs almost two days straight.

I had no access to the data i needed, the entire point if the meter. Then i notices something called xDrip+. Love that software and have only been on it a few days. It lets me see live data in not quite real time but pretty close to it. Color me happy data wise.

Next the got my medical records but seemed surprised when i spoke with them yesterday as to why give a patient who takes meds with acetaminophen. Who takes between 1000-2000mg daily yet they sent the device that doesn't play nice with that medication. So i haven't taken any pain meds so i could better trust and teach the software how my levels go.

I read a couple members here used a similar med for pain containing acetaminophen. They reported no issues.

I spoke with Dexcom on this last Friday. There person seemed a bit nervous when i brought up that its a med i have needed since i was 9yrs old (JRA - non-inflammatory). He suggested i simple take a finger stick every time i see a questionable high. That was how i was sold in the Dex monitor. So, disappointed.

No matter I'm beyond all iver the map levels wise due to the month w/o insulin. The monitor and software are retraining me which is a huge plus. The more i use the Dex the more i love what it is going to help me get back to a steady state BG wise.

I really have no clue why i wrote this stuff. Think of it as rambling due to Rollercoaster BG levels.