My Left Foot - is this neuropathy or something else?

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hi All

I thought I would ask here first to possibly rule out diabetic causes, as my local 'walk-in' has a wait of 4-6 hours and podiatry about 3 months.

For about a week I've had a viciously unpleasant and sharp pain on the outside lower edge of my heel, to the left and near the sole. At rest, there's no pain or numbness, either static or with movement, but if I extend my leg and attempt to gently lift the toes upwards or rotate the foot inwards, it's like something is about to rip asunder. It hasn't improved either by rest or gentle exploratory stretching. I've browsed anatomical diagrams and cannot see what could be happening: I know foots are incredibly complex machines but I would like to rule out diabetic neuropathy (or indeed confirm it if that be the case). Other than a little numbness under the ball and big toe all has been fine until this.

Any guidance appreciated!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi All

I thought I would ask here first to possibly rule out diabetic causes, as my local 'walk-in' has a wait of 4-6 hours and podiatry about 3 months.

For about a week I've had a viciously unpleasant and sharp pain on the outside lower edge of my heel, to the left and near the sole. At rest, there's no pain or numbness, either static or with movement, but if I extend my leg and attempt to gently lift the toes upwards or rotate the foot inwards, it's like something is about to rip asunder. It hasn't improved either by rest or gentle exploratory stretching. I've browsed anatomical diagrams and cannot see what could be happening: I know foots are incredibly complex machines but I would like to rule out diabetic neuropathy (or indeed confirm it if that be the case). Other than a little numbness under the ball and big toe all has been fine until this.

Any guidance appreciated!
We can't really do diagnosis on here but you might want to look up the symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Only the doctor can tell you, but when I had a sudden, acute foot nerve injury the endocrinologist told me that diabetic neuropathy almost always:

1. Begins in the toes and moves up.
2. Is worse at night (as in when you sleep)
3. Is generally always symmetrical (affects sides of the body equally)

what you described doesn’t sound like the descriptions of neuropathy I read about. Good luck, foot pain is no fun at all :(

Antechinus

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Something else. Make appointment with podiatrist/physiotherapist/gp. Use ice packs and rest with change of footwear and see what happens. If gets better cancel appointment. If continues you can tell them what you have done hasn't helped.

RichardHawkings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all very much. I shall attempt to make appointment and duly commence icepacks (which I would not have thought of!)