My levels today

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, newly diagnosed here not sure yet what type.

I've had my dose changed a couple of days ago to 8 units of novorapid with meals.

When I woke this morning, my levels were around the 10 mark, had some cornflakes.

Dinner time it was around 12, I ate

Omelette
Small wholemeal toast x1
Cottage cheese

Small apple
Bag of mini cheddars (first time since diagnosed I've had food like crisps)

Just took levels before tea and my levels are 6.6, I expected it to be higher... So I'm going to have my tea first and insulin after, is this the way I should do it? Insulin after I've ate.?..

Thank you.

Reactions: Paulm80

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check your instructions. So far as I know, you should take 15-20 minutes before eating.

MancboyChris

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Check your instructions. So far as I know, you should take 15-20 minutes before eating.
Thanks for your reply, I don't really have instructions or I can't remember as it is alot to take in, but as it is 6.6 now surely if I took insulin before I eat, I could drop below 4?

Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm still getting used to it

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would assume your levels are lower because it might have been to much insulin for what you ate, ask about carb counting as soon as you can as it makes a whole load of difference

As your newly diagnosed and still on set units then yes I'd say take it after as depending on what your eating 8 units is quite a lot so just be mindful of ending up with a hypo, it will become easier, you seem like your more than likely going to be diagnosed Type 1 and yes there will be a lot to learn but for now just do the best you can, when you do get to carb counting you will end up finding a ratio on what amount of insulin you need for x amount of carbs and generally if we were sitting low pre meal we would reduce the insulin by an appropriate amount but that's something you will learn in time
xx

Reactions: MancboyChris

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use my insulin differently, to control the effect of steroids. My nurse told me that if I wanted to use it to eat a carby meal, I should inject 1unit per 10g carbs.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my insulin differently, to control the effect of steroids. My nurse told me that if I wanted to use it to eat a carby meal, I should inject 1unit per 10g carbs.
I don't think dosing advice is actually allowed on here and quite rightly so as it varies widely from person to person so please don't suggest ratios and doses as this could be very dangerous