My new HbA1c test result is...

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just adding my congratulations for your achievements @IanBish .
It is always uplifting to read of successes of forum members. More so when they stick around to offer encouragement. Well done!
Thank you. I will be sticking around to offer encouragement and support when I can.
@IanBish I am impressed by your result and by all who have reduced their HbA1c well into the non-diabetic region. This is a great achievement.

We all know that T2 diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint. Getting numbers and/or weight down is the first step. Maintaining might be harder.
Do you think your diet is sustainable in the long run? Do you cook yourself? Do you have a partner who is understanding a low carb diet?
I know that most diets fail, because people feel hungry all the time and eventually give up.
A LCHF diet has advantages as fatty foods are more satiating. I don't want to scare you. It can be done. There are people on this forum who have been in remission for many years. I will have my next check in January and hope to be make it to 4 years without medication.
Best wishes on your journey.
Thank you. I know that it's a marathon. Yes, and I'm sure it's sustainable, although I still have weight issues, but I'm shrinking. I tend to cook for myself most of the time. I don't ever feel hungry, and can often fast until the next evening before wanting to eat. I know it's not a cure, and I'll be posting asking about that soon. Good luck for your results in January.

Last edited:

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
Oh @IanBish I am over the moon delighted for you! I would have paid good money to have seen the DN /doctor’s face with that result!

Thank you too for the encouragement and kind words you offer others here. I have learned a lot from your posts, including how to make Scotch eggs sort of low carb :)

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh @IanBish I am over the moon delighted for you! I would have paid good money to have seen the DN /doctor’s face with that result!

Thank you too for the encouragement and kind words you offer others here. I have learned a lot from your posts, including how to make Scotch eggs sort of low carb :)
Thank you. I had the results over the phone from the receptionist. I specifically asked for my HbA1c result. The only note on the results were that the Dr wants a chat because my cholesterol (LDL/HDL/probably both?) was a little high. Probably a chat about statins, which I'll say I'll think about, but won't actually get.

The scotch eggs recipe was from someone else. Unless you meant my patented method of shaving them...? ;)

Laineybod

That's fantastic. I needed this today, I had my yearly review yesterday so just waiting for my results. After a rough year I'm not too hopeful but last year I went from 75 to 69 to 47 to 48 so I know I can do it and keep going. You have given me much needed hope.

• Optimistic
Reactions: jjraak and aylalake

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's fantastic. I needed this today, I had my yearly review yesterday so just waiting for my results. After a rough year I'm not too hopeful but last year I went from 75 to 69 to 47 to 48 so I know I can do it and keep going. You have given me much needed hope.
That's good to hear. All the best for your results. You're very close to that magic number; just keep going. And if doesn't go entirely the way you want, remember that being in the mid forties is far better than being in the mid seventies! Good luck.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, it was 69 mmol/mol In April, and is 37 mmol/mol today, so I guess I'm in remission.

I just wanted to say a big thank you to the forum members for their explanations, encouragement, support, as well as a few tellings off.

I know that @LeafyArts has recently posted a great HbA1c result recently, and I wanted to do the same, to encourage people who may just be starting out with a diagnosis, or who may have fallen off the wagon, to show that it does pay off.

Although, like @LeafyArts , I still have a way to go with excess weight yet, but I'll continue until the bitter end.

I know there's no cure (that's for a future thread) so I realise I'll probably always be a diabetic in waiting. I'm not going anywhere. I'll help where I can, and I just love to read the success stories.

That’s amazing, what a brilliant Christmas present for you and huge inspiration for everyone else.

Reactions: jjraak

andromache

Thank you. I had the results over the phone from the receptionist. I specifically asked for my HbA1c result. The only note on the results were that the Dr wants a chat because my cholesterol (LDL/HDL/probably both?) was a little high. Probably a chat about statins, which I'll say I'll think about, but won't actually get.

The scotch eggs recipe was from someone else. Unless you meant my patented method of shaving them...? ;)
It would be nice to think that what the GP wants to chat about is how the heck you managed that A1c improvement!

Laineybod

That's good to hear. All the best for your results. You're very close to that magic number; just keep going. And if doesn't go entirely the way you want, remember that being in the mid forties is far better than being in the mid seventies! Good luck.
Thank you. Between grief, an injury and lots of pain meds (including amitriptyline that gave me a huge appetite) I know if it is up it is understandable and I will not spiral. Next year will be better (I hope).

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, @Paul_ , I couldn't have done it without all the support and encouragement from the members, though.
You and me both! I don't know how I'd have got through the first month after diagnosis without this forum and the wonderful people here, let alone reduce my hba1c. The advice here has changed everything about my health for the better, I feel lucky to have found this place and our fellow members.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

"Statins" they always want to try to get you on them no matter what had them say yet didn't know what my Levels was!
Others know and say there high! 5 plus other day was in my Autism Group there was a few there telling them there Cholesterol was high yet only 5!.
It's a worrying trend and like all doors go to same point type thing.
Trouble with it is statins lower your hormone levels as cholesterol creates Testosterone along with repairing the body and if lower testosterone it effects metabolism which links in with blood sugars and so on plus you put weight on! friend got given them and porked up even though was always active Gym every day ate healthily plus was always in pain and tired so kicked them into the Bin!

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and aylalake

Laineybod

Thank you. Between grief, an injury and lots of pain meds (including amitriptyline that gave me a huge appetite) I know if it is up it is understandable and I will not spiral. Next year will be better (I hope).
Just phoned for my results, 47 so quite relieved after everything and now I just need to get it lower. Cholesterol a bit high though so appointment next week to discuss.

May Mic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That shows what hard work, dedication, attention to diet can accomplish.
Yet, after a while it's no longer "work" but just our lifestyle and how we eat.
Good for you.

I don't like standard grocery store breads anymore. There's a lovely sourdough bakery nearby using local ground flour.... yummy. I'm finishing off some red fife bread.

Another bakery chain specializes in breads... some great ones there too, but alas, they are carbs and to be used with caution.