My number has rocketed during covid

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today my practice nurse rang to say my HbA1c is 86.
It’s always been in the 50s.
I was very upset and ashamed (had a little cry after the call, if but she says everyone has really suffered during lockdown.
I spent nearly 18 months mostly alone mostly working at home but taking walks when I could.
But I did pile on a stone or so with boredom eating.
Back to Professor Roy Taylor’s book and we go on again from tomorrow - back on the exercise bike, back on the meal substitute shakes.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Back to Professor Roy Taylor’s book and we go on again from tomorrow - back on the exercise bike, back on the meal substitute shakes.
Have you tried lowering your carbs instead of your calories?
Many members have found this works much better for them, and it's a long time solution, changing the kind of foods you eat and not the amount.

Reactions: CazzaW

CazzaW

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried lowering your carbs instead of your calories?
Many members have found this works much better for them, and it's a long time solution, changing the kind of foods you eat and not the amount.
Yes, I do well when I cut out all bread / potatoes / pasta and rice - and will do that again. I think I need a drastic kickstart on the shakes just to motivate me, maybe throwing in some chicken, salad and veg for fibre. It’s my own fault - I comfort are takeaways and biscuits during lockdown. I’m in the North East and we were barely ever out of regional lockdown. I need to try harder and am very motivated by reading all the threads on here

Reactions: EllieM
M

Member496333

Keep calm and carry on. Things can always be better. You just have to apply yourself. Plenty of likeminded souls around here.

LeftPeg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in the same boat (and the same region!). Had a blood test on Fri after ignoring my T2 for 18 months and I'm expecting my A1C to be back in 3 figures. The low-carb diet starts again today.