My reading yesterday!!

roxy44

Hi

i just purchased a meter, and yesterday was the 1st time i got chance to use it...although i was rather ill yesterday with D&S stomach bug..later on in the day..so here goes i think they are rather low and wonder if the nurse has diagnosed me right :

on waking 6.7

some bran flakes and half a bannana,
2 hours later 7.7
3 hours later 7.7
4 hours later and just before lunch 6.8

lunch 1 slice of wholemeal bread and 1 bag of crips
2 hours after 6.5

a few hours later before a small portion of spag bol 7.3
2 hours later 8.5

could not test after that was too busy rushing to the Loo :(
today a little wholemeal toast, later a about 6 maltesers...didnt check my blood till 5.20 before a little cereal it was 7.7

i would appreciate your thought on these readins please?
many thanx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
All your readings are within the NICE guidelines for a Type 2 Diabetic, Roxy, which is a good thing.

They could be even lower ! :D :wink:

You seem to be able to tolerate some things, such as Bran flakes and half a banana, which would have my Bg levels through the roof !

Keep testing and keeping a note of the foods that you eat and you will soon see what puts your Bg levels up.

roxy44

thanks sugarless sue for your reply,

i was wondering if they by some miracle got my diagnosis wrong....oh well lol :)

what are non diabetic reading?, i did expect mine to may be higher with being ill!! as the nurse said illness can effect BG,

thanx again

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
She's right, illness doing affect Bg levels, usually up !

I like to keep mine in the 5's and 6's.

A non Diabetic can keep them in the 4's or lower but a Diabetic risks Hypo's trying to keep them that low ! This is especially dangerous if you drive as low numbers can affect your concentration.

roxy44

so if those numbers are ok after eating wholemeal and bran flakes, means i can continue to eat those? also i wonder if my diabetes could have been caused or my BG levels was high because my diet was rubbish and contained a lot of sugar?? maybe keeping of sugar is enough to keep me healthy???

thanx xx

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Keep testing before a meal and two hours after and keep a note of the foods you eat. If you eat starchy carbs such as bread, cereals etc then try testing at three hours as well to see if there is any rise.

Try and keep the carbs you eat down by reducing the portions a bit. Remember sugar is a simple carb which impacts your Bg levels quite quickly while the starchy carbs take longer to impact on your Bg levels as they are complex carbs and take longer to absorb, but they still affect your levels.

roxy44

can i ask if at any times you just let yourself go..like at parties? or eating out...or just the odd bar of chocalate? or is it too important just to keep focused? thanx again sugarless sue

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
We all have the odd treat now and again.....no-one's perfect !! :D

A piece of Birthday cake or a special night out is not going to kill you as long as it is occasional.

Try dark chocolate the higher percentage the better as it has less carbs ! Good for those occasional 'comfort' nibbles !

BPM

Dislikes
An irrational hatred of Tottenham Hotspurs ;)
My 14 day average is 5.1 at the moment which is good, you sound like you have your diabetes in good control but like Sue said it could be better but nothing too big too worry about.

roxy44

thanx BPM...i think i spoke too soon...with being a little unwell today i jusy had some branflakes and half a banana , 2 hours after my BG was 9.5!!! :shock:
yet yesterday when i had the same it was 7.7, maybe its because i had it twice today??

i was very shocked at that!!

Becg

I can't tolerate carbs too well, i find the wholemeal seeded bread is good for me (doesn't effect my blood sugar much) Also if i have fruit i have berries, they seem to have the least effect but as the others have said you need to test to see what you can and cant tolerate.

I am trying to get pregnant so i have to test more and it has made me so aware of what i can and cant eat, i have to keep really tight control, i test 1 hour after eating breakfast lunch and dinner and if i feel i need to i test more, it really has helped. My Blood sugar is usually 5-5.3 but if i exercise it tends to be in the high 4's the only time i go over 5's is during my period :twisted: when it can go up to about 6.3

It takes a while to find out how you react to certain foods but it's well worth it when you do. Good luck

roxy44

OH you mentioned your period makes it go up!! it my week this week and my 1st week of testing ! i wonder if it has effected it more than it would any other time, thanx for making me aware of that Bec, and good luck with getting pregnant :)

Becg

Yes i was quite surprised when it happened at first and then it happened next month and i'd noted it down in my diary. keep a record and see if there is a pattern. Thanks for the luck, i need it :D x