My sugar levels

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just tested my sugar levels and they were 12.7 i am still waiting for dinner to come and i try to exercise before I go to bed i normally do weights i will try to test more often i just don't like getting hard patches on my fingers

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the main way to lower blood glucose is to eat lower carb foods.. and try to be under 150 grams of carbs in total daily, exercise is also fine , but seldom lower blood glucose with more than a few mmol... your levels are a bit high... do you already count the number of grams of carbs you eat in a day ?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Jazzman75
Your other post says you guessed insulin for lunch. That will be why you are high now. Match insulin to carbs and it will be better.

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
the main way to lower blood glucose is to eat lower carb foods.. and try to be under 150 grams of carbs in total daily, exercise is also fine , but seldom lower blood glucose with more than a few mmol... your levels are a bit high... do you already count the number of grams of carbs you eat in a day ?

Not quite sure about how to measure carbs still trying to get the hang of it

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Me giving you a guess of carbs now would be pointless as you didn't test beforehand so we have no idea what you started at. Do you know your correction dose?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you use insuline you´ll have to learn to count carbs.... so help you get some education and help and support in this

maybe it is better to mention for you which kind of foods is best to be avoided then, not all people can manage to count all ther carbs.

the foods to avoid is all kinds of sugary drinks, cakes , bread , fruits , icecream , all sorts of candy, pasta , potatoes , sandwich bread ..... crisps

the foods you can eat a lot of is meat, fish without coating, olives , tomatoes , cucumbers, zucchini, fullfat youghurt without sugar in, cream with berries (but no sugar added )

if you miss sugar very much , you can use sucralose like this for instance : https://www.amazon.com/Splenda-Brown-Sugar-Blend-Ounce/dp/B001EPQQL2

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you use insuline you´ll have to learn to count carbs.... so help you get some education and help and support in this

maybe it is better to mention for you which kind of foods is best to be avoided then, not all people can manage to count all ther carbs.

the foods to avoid is all kinds of sugary drinks, cakes , bread , fruits , icecream , all sorts of candy, pasta , potatoes , sandwich bread ..... crisps

the foods you can eat a lot of is meat, fish without coating, olives , tomatoes , cucumbers, zucchini, fullfat youghurt without sugar in, cream with berries (but no sugar added )

if you miss sugar very much , you can use sucralose like this for instance : https://www.amazon.com/Splenda-Brown-Sugar-Blend-Ounce/dp/B001EPQQL2
Thanks

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me giving you a guess of carbs now would be pointless as you didn't test beforehand so we have no idea what you started at. Do you know your correction dose?
My last sugar levels were 12.7 and i had 3 slices of pizza and a piece of garlic bread and 2 bbq wings then I had 3 units of insulin so that should bring me down by 9 because 1 unit of insulin brings you down by 3 is what my doctor told me

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask your age? Just because you're posting in the young people section and it's unusual to be a type2 at a young age, and you are on insulin for food, which is unusual for newly diagnosed type2's. And in answer to your question, testing over twelve times a day for half a year hasn't given me hard patches on my fingers. Libre might be an option to see what you're doing, insulin and foodwise, if you can afford it or can get funded.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
And how long have you been diagnosed?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh, and what insulin are you on? The more you can tell us the more we can try to help.

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May I ask your age? Just because you're posting in the young people section and it's unusual to be a type2 at a young age, and you are on insulin for food, which is unusual for newly diagnosed type2's. And in answer to your question, testing over twelve times a day for half a year hasn't given me hard patches on my fingers. Libre might be an option to see what you're doing, insulin and foodwise, if you can afford it or can get funded.
I am 25 and have had type 2 diabetes since the age of 6

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My last sugar levels were 12.7 and i had 3 slices of pizza and a piece of garlic bread and 2 bbq wings then I had 3 units of insulin so that should bring me down by 9 because 1 unit of insulin brings you down by 3 is what my doctor told me

Well that rather assumes what you ate won't send you up. Which is, obviously, a little over optimistic.

I would be rather concerned by your approach to correcting. You are working on the assumption that 1 unit lowers you by 3mmol/l. So you took 3 units as a correction. 3 units would drop you by 9 (if your insulin sensitivity factor assumption is correct and if you hadn't just eaten, which is obviously raising your blood sugar). 12.7 - 9 = 3.7 . So your correction dose appears to be aiming to take you hypo. When correcting you should really be a bit more cautious and aim for the middle or the top of the target range, rather than the bottom.

Jazzman75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that rather assumes what you ate won't send you up. Which is, obviously, a little over optimistic.

I would be rather concerned by your approach to correcting. You are working on the assumption that 1 unit lowers you by 3mmol/l. So you took 3 units as a correction. 3 units would drop you by 9 (if your insulin sensitivity factor assumption is correct and if you hadn't just eaten, which is obviously raising your blood sugar). 12.7 - 9 = 3.7 . So your correction dose appears to be aiming to take you hypo. When correcting you should really be a bit more cautious and aim for the middle or the top of the target range, rather than the bottom.
I'm going to be between i would assume about 9 and 10 i am not going to have a hypo tonight