1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

My Sugr - estimated HbA1c

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Looseboy, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Looseboy

Looseboy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all

I am interested to see if anyone uses the app "MySugr"and how do you find the estimated compares to actual HbA1c?

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hba1C estimates on apps that you enter blood glucose data into tend to underestimate Hba1C levels, mainly due to people generally not testing during the post-prandial spike that many people get, and also due to the tendency to test more as you are going low. Although app manufacturers try and counter this a bit with some smarts in the algorithm they use, it's really only as good as "data in, data out".

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. auroralapetite

auroralapetite Type 1 · Active Member

My estimated HbA1C from MySugr was accurate but I also input numbers from when my blood glucose is high.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Looseboy

Ok cheers
    I put in any reading I do so fasting , pre meal and 2hr post
    I also test 1hr with a few more carb heavy meals , so fingers crossed it will be around the right area.

I dont have my test for around a month so will know more then.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Looseboy

All

Just looking for further thoughts on the My Sugr app/correlation to HbA1c.

Time is ticking and anxiety brewing as I near the time when I have my 3 month follow up blood test.

This time around I was looking to understand more around Standard Deviation.

Both my overall average BG is consistent day to day /week on week as is my Standard Deviation. I am just keen to understand what is the "good " criteria for "Standard Deviation" and it's significance if any on the accuracy of the HbA1c.

6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I have this in my notes, but unfortunately the link no longer works.

"You can use the standard deviation to look at your overall blood sugar control, or to check on specific times of day such as before breakfast. Just use the rule of thumb developed by Dr. Irl Hirsch, an endocrinologist at the University of Washington in Seattle. His guideline is that the standard deviation multiplied by two should be less than the average blood glucose number." https://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=14131 "

Then there is this old T1 thread
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/standard-deviation.40339/

and if you Google there are quite a lot of articles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I've always worked to standard deviation should be no more than a third of average glucose levels. That works okay for me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Looseboy

Many thanks @Bluetit1802 based on that equation i am on the right side ( hopefully !!! Not enjoying the unknown between HbA1c )

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Looseboy

Thanks @tim2000s . That's works for me

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #9 Looseboy, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook