My third HbA1c

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well today my third test - results next week!

I was 7.1 eight months ago which reduced to 6.1 after five weeks.

Have lost 4 stone and kept to a fairly strict diet with I suppose a little more wine than I should have.

I started meter reading 7 weeks ago as I thought being in the dark was ridiculous. Paid for a mobile device which takes cassettes - simple but not cheap and definitely not on NHS.

Lowest readings have been 4.3 and highest 7.9. Wonder what my HbA1c will be. I’m hoping for under six.

Still get symptoms of cold feet and going to the toilet too often - but getting used to it - looking at some other posts I think I’m lucky!

Become a master at reading food labels - lucky I’m an accountant - albeit an old 70 year one but still working full time.

Question is even if your sugars are in control will you still get diabetic symptoms?

Good luck to all of you - I appreciate how hard it is now but most of us can make big improvements

Reactions: Prem51

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your progress and weight loss @Barrowbakers. How often to you test Bs? I'm on 18/6 fasting plus LCHF and keep carbs at 20% I test in morning after 12 hour fast last couple of days have been 4.5 lowest I've ever had then test after 18 hours they tend to go up a bit 5.1 and 5.8 still very pleased with that. Was 16.6 when I started 2 weeks ago. Only have black tea and vitamin water as needed during fast. Keep us posted on your results.

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’m not so regimented I’m afraid to say . Normally test on waking, before lunch, after lunch and then bedtime. Lows are normally before lunch. I’m careful with carbs but find if I limit them to approx 80 a day I average 5.5. You have done exceptionally well from 16.6 down to 5 ish ! I shall publish the HbA1c result next Wednesday - just hoping now !

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today my third test - results next week!

I was 7.1 eight months ago which reduced to 6.1 after five weeks.

Have lost 4 stone and kept to a fairly strict diet with I suppose a little more wine than I should have.

I started meter reading 7 weeks ago as I thought being in the dark was ridiculous. Paid for a mobile device which takes cassettes - simple but not cheap and definitely not on NHS.

Lowest readings have been 4.3 and highest 7.9. Wonder what my HbA1c will be. I’m hoping for under six.

Still get symptoms of cold feet and going to the toilet too often - but getting used to it - looking at some other posts I think I’m lucky!

Become a master at reading food labels - lucky I’m an accountant - albeit an old 70 year one but still working full time.

Question is even if your sugars are in control will you still get diabetic symptoms?

Good luck to all of you - I appreciate how hard it is now but most of us can make big improvements
well done I am sure you´ll get an HbA1c under 38

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well done on reducing your bs readings and weight. It does sound as if you should get a good HbA1c result next week - let us know how it goes.
The neuropathy in your feet should improve with your lowered bs levels.
The frequent toilet visits might too if it is diabetes related, but could be due to age or other reasons. You should ask gp/dn when you go to discuss HbA1c test results.