1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Mysterious liquid in infusion set

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Seeyounow2, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Seeyounow2

Seeyounow2 · Newbie

I wondered if anyone could help with this.

Today I was changing my insulin set, and I noticed a very small amount of liquid in the infusion set, that I can see right before pulling air into the infusion set (before connecting to the insulin vial), and it moves when I pull air into it.

It’s almost like a watery-oily liquid in the way it spreads on the inside of the reservoir when I pull down the plunger to bring air in.

It happened with one box previously, and has now happened in a few of the reservoirs in my new boxes (different lot numbers than the previous boxes). It’s about half and half regarding reservoirs with/without it.

I’m with Medtronic MiniMed Mio Infusion sets and reservoirs. It’s the reservoir that’s the issue.

Has anyone seen this before or does anyone have any idea what the liquid is? I’m worried about injecting myself with it and whether it’s going to cause any issues.

Please help!!

Thank you.

2. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

They do apply lubricant to the piston in the resivor, hence why you have to play with it before filling. Assuming you have another set put that one aside and call Medtronic.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook