Nationwide flex plus travel insurance and Diabetics.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking into changing bank accounts and the Nationwide flex plus looks interesting as I'll use most of the package. The one I'm not sure about is travel insurance. There's a number to call to check, but does anyone know already if they will accept diabetics. I'm T2 on Metformin and Gliclazide if it makes any difference.

I'll probably call over the weekend if no-one knows, and will for sure call to check before signing up. But like I say it would be good to hear of anyones experience.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They did not charge me for blood pressure but they had to ring underwriters. I think there is a premium if you have other conditions. They will let you know.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm looking into changing bank accounts and the Nationwide flex plus looks interesting as I'll use most of the package. The one I'm not sure about is travel insurance. There's a number to call to check, but does anyone know already if they will accept diabetics. I'm T2 on Metformin and Gliclazide if it makes any difference.

I'll probably call over the weekend if no-one knows, and will for sure call to check before signing up. But like I say it would be good to hear of anyones experience.

I no longer have the letter as it isn't a product we use, due to our specific requirements, but the Nationwide recently wrote letting me know that the terms of their included travel policy are to be changing. There were a couple of critical dates, so it would be worthwhile to check about any imminent changes to the terms, to ensure you don't sign up then find things have changed.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have their insurance from the old benefit on the flex account, (now discontinued to new customers)
They accept me but will not cover diabetic complications without a further (smallish) premium.
The same for statins.
As I really only want it for accidental injury, (maybe I'll change my mind if I do have a heart attack), I declare everything, but agree not to be covered for complications from diabetics and statin use.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I really only want it for accidental injury,

Don't you rally 4x4s..? Lol,
Not on a "knock." :cool:

I used to gig abroad... There is "no way" I'm covered if I fell off a light rigging.. Or got dropped "crowd surfing"..
Hey! But I take the chance.... ;)
Google "Steve Grimmette." He's T2.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have their insurance from the old benefit on the flex account, (now discontinued to new customers)
They accept me but will not cover diabetic complications without a further (smallish) premium.
The same for statins.
As I really only want it for accidental injury, (maybe I'll change my mind if I do have a heart attack), I declare everything, but agree not to be covered for complications from diabetics and statin use.

Personally, I would rather have insurance elsewhere or pay an additional premium than accept exclusions. I guess we all set our own risk dials.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Don't you rally 4x4s..? Lol,
Not on a "knock." :cool:

I used to gig abroad... There is "no way" I'm covered if I fell off a light rigging.. Or got dropped "crowd surfing"..
Hey! But I take the chance.... ;)
Google "Steve Grimmette." He's T2.

It actually covers a variety of sport insurance.
I have an annual dive medical, I'm taking my chances I won't have a heart attack based on that, and my normal annual review suggests I won't have any complications short term.
So, I can't really think of any reason to cover type 2 diabetes specifically.
Type 1 I am sure would be a different proposition though.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Personally, I would rather have insurance elsewhere or pay an additional premium than accept exclusions. I guess we all set our own risk dials.

I self insure for most things.
There are a few exceptions.
Car insurance is obligatory, but I don't protect my no claims, I don't have legal expenses, I don't have hire car, and I take the maximum excess.
I insure the houses and contents, as the insurance is too cheap not to compared to the prices of the houses.
I have a european breakdown policy for any vehicle I am driving, and I do like to ensure I will be put back together if I have an accident.
For everything else there's mastercard.