Natural Remedies and Suggestions

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aarrrghhh! This burning sensation in my right lower leg, just below the knee is driving me slowly mad. I've now increased (as of today) to 3 gabapentin a day. When I started them (on one a day) I thought they were working. But I'm getting the pain in the evening after my tea time pill and the one I took at lunch time today hasn't kicked in at all :(:inpain:

Does anyone have any natural or alternative remedies as I'm not due to see my Dr again for another couple of weeks to review things.

S

Shar67

Gabapentin doesn't work as an instant painkiller like paracetamol, it changes chemical patterns in brain and takes a number of days to do this. It wont necessarily to all pain away and you may need another medication

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gabapentin doesn't work as an instant painkiller like paracetamol, it changes chemical patterns in brain and takes a number of days to do this. It wont necessarily to all pain away and you may need another medication

Thanks for replying. I didn't realise that. I thought it was supposed to sort out the extreme discomfort and burning sensation. And now, I'm not sure why it's been prescribed . . . ? It's just costing me more money as my blood pressure meds have been doubled in strength twice in the space of about 3-4 weeks. I wouldn't mind if they worked first time :banghead:

S

Shar67

If you have to pay for your prescriptions it is worth getting a prepayment card.
Your GP might prescribe more medication to take with the gabapentin. I take it with amitriptyline. Sometimes a combination works.
I suffer chronic pain, my body thinks my panc is hurting, panc is dead so no pain but nerve endings have remembered pain plus i do have liver pain. My combo doesnt take pain completely away but it is bettter than not taking anything. I do have some very strong opiates but try not to rely on them (somedays ive just got to take them but all human functionality goes)

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you have to pay for your prescriptions it is worth getting a prepayment card.
Your GP might prescribe more medication to take with the gabapentin. I take it with amitriptyline. Sometimes a combination works.
I suffer chronic pain, my body thinks my panc is hurting, panc is dead so no pain but nerve endings have remembered pain plus i do have liver pain. My combo doesnt take pain completely away but it is bettter than not taking anything. I do have some very strong opiates but try not to rely on them (somedays ive just got to take them but all human functionality goes)

Maybe I'll end up on a combination then. I'm going to let her know the gabapentin doesn't seem to be doing anything unless it decides to kick in very soon. I've heard that amitriptyline makes you very spaced out. Is that true, or just a side effect for some people? Thought I'd ask as she may try me on that next. I work, and I also work with the public so can't afford to be "spaced out"!

After reading your post I feel I shouldn't be complaining as it's more extreme discomfort that I'm trying to manage and cope with than "pain".

S

Shar67

Both can cause fogginess etc but it does settle, opiates are a bigger problem.
I worked for LA before i was medically retired. It was probably best to get retirement as my patience with some clients and drug mix would have accumulated in speaken my mind