85DBDCE6-2CFF-4451-AFF8-A4E1FF9A2BA1.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s erythritol with a bit of stevia. On the expensive side (£5 for 300g at Tesco/Ocado) when compared to pure erythritol bought on Amazon (about £8 a kilo). The stevia makes it sweeter - according to the packaging it’s the same sweetness as sugar, whereas naked erythritol is about 30% less sweet.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks like good stuff, but was wondering if we really needed to import it from the other side of the world? :D

D

Deleted member 308541

It looks like good stuff, but was wondering if we really needed to import it from the other side of the world? :D
The sugar cane crushing season has just finished here in Bundaberg, where Bundaberg Sugar's mills crushed approximately 1.5 million tonnes of cane.

We use raw sugar here at home, straight from the Bingara mill... :D

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I import my erythritol from Amazon.

Heaven knows where Amazon gets it.
Prefer to avoid stevia since i dislike the aftertaste.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythritol
Production[edit]
Erythritol is produced industrially beginning with enzymatic hydrolysis of the starch from corn to generate glucose.[16] Glucose is then fermented with yeast or another fungus to produce erythritol. Other methods such as electrochemical synthesis are in development.[17] A genetically engineered mutant form of Yarrowia lipolytica, a yeast, has been optimized for erythritol production by fermentation, using glycerol as a carbon source and high osmotic pressure to increase yields up to 62%.[18]

no idea where the corn is grown, but it could easily be in several countries.

Stevia originates in S America, so I doubt if it grows in temperate climates.

But I would be interested to find out if it does...

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t buy any. I just happened to notice it with its cheeky 100% Aussie stamp on it. I bought some sweeten to take on holiday with me and saw this Natvia on the shelf at the same time.

Skippy1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
The sugar cane crushing season has just finished here in Bundaberg, where Bundaberg Sugar's mills crushed approximately 1.5 million tonnes of cane.

We use raw sugar here at home, straight from the Bingara mill... :D
I spent some time travelling in QLD - I remember a never ending rail trip from Cairns to Townsville, stopping frequently to let the cane trains cross - not bad though, as plenty of time to chat to fellow travellers/watch the film in the lounge car!

D

Deleted member 308541

I spent some time travelling in QLD - I remember a never ending rail trip from Cairns to Townsville, stopping frequently to let the cane trains cross - not bad though, as plenty of time to chat to fellow travellers/watch the film in the lounge car!
It happens here in Bundaberg as well, our former state polly was hit by a cane train when she did not give way to it, nearly the quick and the dead moment for her.

https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/former-mp-leanne-donaldson-identified-train-crash-/3467407/

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used Natvia for ages both granulated and powdered (icing sugar) versions. They do various options for the granulated stuff including boxes of little individual portion packs. When I first started low carbing Natvia and Sukrin were really the only options I could find.

If you're lucky you may see them on offer, Ocado used to do this regularly, and Tesco recently had a £2 reduction on those £5 canisters.

But I have also now started using Amazon too for the better prices.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Natvia website has some really good recipes - not all are low carb/keto friendly but there are quite a few. Could be handy this time of year for those looking to make seasonal treats :)

Reactions: Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stevia originates in S America, so I doubt if it grows in temperate climates.

But I would be interested to find out if it does...

A while back someone on the forum (I believe in the UK) said they'd grown it - I can't remember details now, but I assume it was in pots indoors like tender herbs rather than outside.

Hotpepper20000

A while back someone on the forum (I believe in the UK) said they'd grown it - I can't remember details now, but I assume it was in pots indoors like tender herbs rather than outside.
I’m in Canada and we can grow it in pots. We have it outside in the summer and bring it in for the winter. The green leaves are bitter and sweet. I don’t use it for cooking. But like the plant.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold

I've tried growing several times without success. Love to hear if it is really possible or just rumour !

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried growing several times without success. Love to hear if it is really possible or just rumour !
There's also a perfectly good search facility on the forum if you need to check information.