1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Need employment help.

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by tina_marie, Mar 25, 2016.

1. tina_marie

tina_marie Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. My husband is a diabetic and because of his work he gets very tired , so ive asked my employer if I could swap my evening shift to a day shift and the reply I got back is I work in retail and they no longer employ people to work days only. Yet they have taken me of evenings before and put me on days when it suits them. I have a couple of months to decide what I am going to do , if I decide im not going to work the evening shift I have been told they will review my contract with them.

#1 tina_marie, Mar 25, 2016 at 3:24 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2016
  2. copepod

copepod Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think you may be tackling the wrong problem, Tina - not your employers' attitude, but why your husband is getting very tired, which suggests that your husband's treatment is not enabling him to have a normal life. I would suggest that he raises the issue of fatigue with whoever helps him to look after his diabetes, tto discuss reviewing medication, diet, exercise, body weight etc, as well as ruling out any other health issues that are affecting his energy levels. Employers only have to make reasonanable adjustments, and sometimes making a fuss can put work contract at risk, whether you have a condition yourself, or are related to someone with a long term condition, when you'd need to be a carer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tina_marie

tina_marie Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Husband has lost weight had his meds done and all the rest you mentioned . Look him up on here under eldergarth. My employer changes me around when it suits them but when I request a change they get uptight about it , yet have accommodated others to fit in with there life style. Like child care .

4. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Could you speak to HR about a flexible working contract?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook