Need employment help.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. My husband is a diabetic and because of his work he gets very tired , so ive asked my employer if I could swap my evening shift to a day shift and the reply I got back is I work in retail and they no longer employ people to work days only. Yet they have taken me of evenings before and put me on days when it suits them. I have a couple of months to decide what I am going to do , if I decide im not going to work the evening shift I have been told they will review my contract with them.

Last edited by a moderator:

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you may be tackling the wrong problem, Tina - not your employers' attitude, but why your husband is getting very tired, which suggests that your husband's treatment is not enabling him to have a normal life. I would suggest that he raises the issue of fatigue with whoever helps him to look after his diabetes, tto discuss reviewing medication, diet, exercise, body weight etc, as well as ruling out any other health issues that are affecting his energy levels. Employers only have to make reasonanable adjustments, and sometimes making a fuss can put work contract at risk, whether you have a condition yourself, or are related to someone with a long term condition, when you'd need to be a carer.

tina_marie

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
patronising people an those who lie.
I think you may be tackling the wrong problem, Tina - not your employers' attitude, but why your husband is getting very tired, which suggests that your husband's treatment is not enabling him to have a normal life. I would suggest that he raises the issue of fatigue with whoever helps him to look after his diabetes, tto discuss reviewing medication, diet, exercise, body weight etc, as well as ruling out any other health issues that are affecting his energy levels. Employers only have to make reasonanable adjustments, and sometimes making a fuss can put work contract at risk, whether you have a condition yourself, or are related to someone with a long term condition, when you'd need to be a carer.
Husband has lost weight had his meds done and all the rest you mentioned . Look him up on here under eldergarth. My employer changes me around when it suits them but when I request a change they get uptight about it , yet have accommodated others to fit in with there life style. Like child care .

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Husband has lost weight had his meds done and all the rest you mentioned . Look him up on here under eldergarth. My employer changes me around when it suits them but when I request a change they get uptight about it , yet have accommodated others to fit in with there life style. Like child care .

Could you speak to HR about a flexible working contract?