Need help getting back on the low carb wagon

andyslowrider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2 just over 3 years ago after a heart attack with an A1c of 84.

Having read lots about low carb, much of which on here, I managed to get my A1c down to 45 over the following 18 months.

I realised that low carb was killing my enjoyment of food - I've always enjoyed a very carb heavy diet - and my family found I was miserable in general. I then tried to strike a balance that would keep my blood sugars low enough while allowing me to enjoy eating again. I failed. My latest A1c was 69 and even after that I'm still struggling, and failing, to get back on a low carb diet.

I know the theory of what I need to do, I've done it before, but just can't get back into it now.

Any tips for motivation or breaking my current viscous cycle would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Andy

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@andyslowrider
Do you test your bg levels using either finger pricks or a sensor? I find doing that and seeing the resultant spikes from food that raises my bg too much very motivating and visual.
It doesn't need be done for life, once you know what is wrong for you, its easier to avoid or minimise your intake.
I was in the garden lunchtime, tired and hungry so I ate all the last raspberries (about 20) and about the same number of grapes. I was wearing a libre and saw by bg rise from 5 to 9, too high! It means next time I will go back to 8 raspberries and no grapes (luckily the season is finishing). I note the moods that lowered my resolve and I move on, having learned.
Also look at finding low carb or keto versions of the foods you like eating and have those when others eat the carb versions. I have pizza, curry, cake, even icecream but all low carb

andyslowrider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@andyslowrider
Do you test your bg levels using either finger pricks or a sensor? I find doing that and seeing the resultant spikes from food that raises my bg too much very motivating and visual.
It doesn't need be done for life, once you know what is wrong for you, its easier to avoid or minimise your intake.
I was in the garden lunchtime, tired and hungry so I ate all the last raspberries (about 20) and about the same number of grapes. I was wearing a libre and saw by bg rise from 5 to 9, too high! It means next time I will go back to 8 raspberries and no grapes (luckily the season is finishing). I note the moods that lowered my resolve and I move on, having learned.
Also look at finding low carb or keto versions of the foods you like eating and have those when others eat the carb versions. I have pizza, curry, cake, even icecream but all low carb
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I usually do a finger prick test before eating, which currently can give me a reading of anywhere between 8 and 10.

I'm at such a low with this at the moment that while an 8 or below is usually enough to make me eat sensibly, a high reading has the opposite effect and I'll end up eating some of the chips/potatoes/rice etc that the rest of the family are eating.

I know I need to do better, but am really struggling to get my head back into it.

Reactions: fumanchu

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Just recently been there with the husband, he's type 2 and diet controlled but was losing heart and eating cake etc. What I did was trawl the internet for good LC cooking, finding new ways of cooking stuff like cabbage (bleugh!) etc. One site especially is great:
She uses a lot of cream and butter which is what the Bernstein diet pushes and it seems to really agree with the hubby. I eat the same, as I can't be assed cooking 2 meals for 2 people. Cabbage and sprouts and green stuff taste far nicer now :)

andyslowrider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just recently been there with the husband, he's type 2 and diet controlled but was losing heart and eating cake etc. What I did was trawl the internet for good LC cooking, finding new ways of cooking stuff like cabbage (bleugh!) etc. One site especially is great:
She uses a lot of cream and butter which is what the Bernstein diet pushes and it seems to really agree with the hubby. I eat the same, as I can't be assed cooking 2 meals for 2 people. Cabbage and sprouts and green stuff taste far nicer now :)
Many thanks for your reply.

I've just had a look at the site you linked - it's got some tasty looking recipes. Thanks for recommending it.

• Friendly
Reactions: fumanchu

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with T2 just over 3 years ago after a heart attack with an A1c of 84.

Having read lots about low carb, much of which on here, I managed to get my A1c down to 45 over the following 18 months.

I realised that low carb was killing my enjoyment of food - I've always enjoyed a very carb heavy diet - and my family found I was miserable in general. I then tried to strike a balance that would keep my blood sugars low enough while allowing me to enjoy eating again. I failed. My latest A1c was 69 and even after that I'm still struggling, and failing, to get back on a low carb diet.

I know the theory of what I need to do, I've done it before, but just can't get back into it now.

Any tips for motivation or breaking my current viscous cycle would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Andy
I don't think you failed, per se... More like got burnt-out and bored. New recipes could indeed help, and try reminding yourself why you're on a low carb diet to begin with. (Which could be spruced up, I'm sure! Dietdoctor.com has recipes too, and there's so much out there if you start looking) . You want to stay in good health and with your family for a decent while longer, I assume? I do it for my husband. He's already my carer and I don't need to make his life harder, I feel... It's enough to get back on the wagon after crashing off earlier this year. If you don't care about your ticker enough to do it for yourself, find a reason to stick with it, any reason at all. Whatever works.

Good luck!
Jo

andyslowrider

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think you failed, per se... More like got burnt-out and bored. New recipes could indeed help, and try reminding yourself why you're on a low carb diet to begin with. (Which could be spruced up, I'm sure! Dietdoctor.com has recipes too, and there's so much out there if you start looking) . You want to stay in good health and with your family for a decent while longer, I assume? I do it for my husband. He's already my carer and I don't need to make his life harder, I feel... It's enough to get back on the wagon after crashing off earlier this year. If you don't care about your ticker enough to do it for yourself, find a reason to stick with it, any reason at all. Whatever works.

Good luck!
Jo
Thanks for the reply Jo.

Strangely I'm more concerned about the diabetes than the heart. If I could be sure the heart would get me first it wouldn't be so bad. I can live with being dead but don't fancy the blindness or foot amputation that diabetes threatens. Even the thought of that isn't a sufficient motivator at the moment though.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply Jo.

Strangely I'm more concerned about the diabetes than the heart. If I could be sure the heart would get me first it wouldn't be so bad. I can live with being dead but don't fancy the blindness or foot amputation that diabetes threatens. Even the thought of that isn't a sufficient motivator at the moment though.
You do know that heart failure is a possible complication from diabetes? But, yeah, if it comes down to not even all those things (feet, eyes, what have you) not being enough, then it'll have to come from elsewhere. Find stuff you enjoy eating. I found that with carbs off the menu, I could go for more decadent things, like bacon, steak, thick cream... Don't give up just yet.

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply Jo.

My hubby had 3 heart attacks then a triple bypass Andy and he says the diabetes is more annoying than the heart. He says the bypass is over and done with and he's ok now (fingers crossed) - but the diabetes is ongoing and unfixable.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
MyFitnessPal, good luck!

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
@andyslowrider
I've been at this 15 years now, and it is still hard.
You just need to be kind to yourself and do the best you can each day.
I've just climbed back on the wagon yet again after a while of "a few carbs can't harm, that looks nice, bother my BG is a bit high, I'll start again when I've just finished eating {whatever} it would be a shame to waste it".
Every day with minimal carbs is a win.
I use a Freestyle Libre 2 to track my BG but that is not an affordable option for most.

My diabetes is slowly worsening but I am slim at the moment and only on Metformin and Alogliptin and can still get my BG down if I cut out virtually all carbohydrates.
As you say, it can make you feel miserable but if you get your mind settled into going full keto it can become easier.
I've given up beer again which is a major sacrifice, but needs must.
Having just a few carbohydrates makes it much, much harder.

Angela33

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was the exact same as you, always enjoyed a lot of carbs in my diet, mostly bread and pasta and it really affected me negatively.

One of the best things I tried wasn't to cut out bread and pasta but to try the low carb versions of them. Most of them taste pretty awful but after trying lots, I found LoCho low carb bread and Linea6 pasta.

Would definitely recommend Locho low carb bread, it actuallly tastes pretty carb and super low carb. I get it from the keto shop uk , they have a lot of keto snacks too which have helped with the cravings for sugary treats.

I have noticed since I started eating the low carb bread my mood has definitely improved.