Tablets (oral)
SILLY I KNOW, :oops: FORGOT TO ASK NURSE THIS MORNING WHEN TO TEST,
I HAVE BEEN GIVEN A MONITOR FINALY, WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO START TESTING ,
BEEN TOLD TO DO IT JUST THE ONCE A DAY TO START WITH

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jeenie,

Once a day isn't enough I'm afraid, particularly when you're trying to understand how your blood sugars fluctuate throughout the day.
You should certainly check first thing in the morning to see how your blood sugars got on through the night. You should also check 2 hours after each meal to see how you respond to the different foods in your diet. A word of warning, be prepared for some nasty surprises if you like things such as breakfast cereals, pasta.
Another top tip is to keep a diary of your meals and results at first so that you can see the patterns and learn which foods to restrict or eliminate. This is really valuable information which will help you to achieve non-diabetic blood sugars in future. Remember, just because you are diabetic is no reason you can't have normal blood sugars and a complication free future.
Have you been restricted in the nuber of test strips prescribed? Which, if any, medications are you taking?

All the best,

fergus

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Fergus, Thank you , the monitor is a Freestyle Freedom Lite machine, with 10 strips, i dont know of any restricions as yet, i,m not on any meds for diabetes i,m dx with type 2 as i said previously, nurse as said just do it once a day

Fergus i am taking simvastatin if this is relevant , also thyroxine 75mlg

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jeenie,

Sorry I've missed your previous posts.
Unfortunately, once a day testing will tell you nothing useful. It's particularly important if you're to remain diet controlled that you test to see your response to foods. Tell your diabetes nurse that the NICE guidelines are pretty supportive of testing and that you can't expect to remain diet controlled without it. The meds are a whole lot more pricey than the strips!
Once they prescribe the strips, test 4 or 5 times a day until you get a good understanding about how your body responds to foods. Even if you have to buy the **** strips yourself, it's the best investment you could make in your future health.

All the best,

fergus

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Fergus, Will do just that, get back on to nurse

devon

Hi Jeenie,
lt might be worth just putting in a repeat prescription for your strips, after all they have been
prescribed to you with the monitor, it might be as easy as that.

How long have you been hypothyroid, is it well controlled?
good luck, db

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
devon said:
Hi Jeenie,
lt might be worth just putting in a repeat prescription for your strips, after all they have been
prescribed to you with the monitor, it might be as easy as that.

How long have you been hypothyroid, is it well controlled?
good luck, db
Hi Devon, not sure what you mean by "hypothyroid " not heard it refered to, as that before , i have had an underactive thyroid for about 4yrs
havnt been given a prescription as yet,re-strips think i will have to see the gp for that

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Jeannie,"Hypo" means under so hypothyroid is underactive thyroid.Did the nurse give you the monitor complete with 10 strips? In which case they probably have not been put on prescription yet.You need to ask your doctor for a prescription.As the nurse gave you a monitor I can't see that the doctor will not prescribe the strips.See if they will prescribe 100 a month! You never know,you might get lucky!Usual prescription is 50 a month which does not give you enough to test more than once a day and the occasional other time.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I take it that the last figure in each line is after your evening meal.Can you give us some idea of what you are eating for that meal? If you could maybe show when the readings were taken I.e. before breakfast after breakfast ,before lunch after lunch etc then we will get a better idea.

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
re-posted

we have our main meal at lunch time Sue , does it make a difference

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
jeenie said:
just edited my post Sue, but thought i would post it again
Thurs Night Before Bed 7.9
Fri before breakfast 7.1 / after breakfast 6.1 / after lunch 5,7 / after evening meal 11.2
Sat before breakfast 7.2/ after breakfast 6.8 / after lunch 7.8 /after evening meal 9.1
Sun before breakfast 7.2 / after breakfast 5.4 /after lunch 8.6 /after evening meal 7.9

we have our main meal at lunch time Sue , does it make a difference
each morning, before breky 75 mg Thyriod tabs
After brecky 1 asprin /1 probiotic capsule,/ 1 pkt of fibergel

Breakfasts:- hot water with slice of lemon each morning

Fri 7,1 1 banana organic oats with skimmed milk blk coffee 6.1
Sat 7.2 1/2 tin tropical fruit in juice 2 toasted crumpets with benicol spread blk coffee 6.8
Sun 7.2 an orange 2 eggs with 2 tbls skimmed milk scrambled 1 multi grain roll with benicol spread blk coffee 5.4

Lunches :-
Fri new potato wedges par boiled then roasted with a tbls rapeseed oil grilled fish fingers steamed cauli , microwaved h/g courgettes in rapeseed oil 2hour moderate walking 5.7
Sat ginger and lime turkey stir fry, with basmati and wild rice 1/2 naan bread glass water
2hours moderate walking 7.8
Sun pork chop grilled with paprika, useing spray oil , boiled new potatoes, steamed cauli, and carrots microwaved h/g courgettes in rapeseed oil , 40z fresh strawberries and blk pepper 1 small glass red wine 1 blk coffee 8.6
Afternoon snacks :-
Fri i pkt crisp handful pumpkin and sunflower seeds blk tea
Sat cherry scone with benicol spread blk tea
Sun same as above
Evening meal:-
Fri 1/2 tub cottage cheese with pineapple , 1/2 lb h/g tomatoes suger free jelly tinned mxd fruit in juice lrg glass of red wine blk coffee 11.2
Sat lrge mxd salad cottage cheese with pineapple 1 multi grain roll with benicol spread h/m french dressing sugar free jelly and mxd fruit as before lrg glass of red wine blk coffee 9.1

Sun greek salad tomato cucumber red onion fetta cheese blk olives
extras lettuce left over new potatoes and rice h/m rench dressing
suger free orange jelly with tnnd manderine oranges , % greek yogurt sm glass red wine glass water blk coffee 7.9
All readings after meals aprox 2 hours

Evening Snacks
Fri camomile tea
Sat lrge handfull pistachios nuts camomile tea
Sun lrge hanfull pistachios 1 choc digestive biscuit camomile tea
Every Evening Just before bed 2 PARACETAMOL 1 QUININE TAB 1 SIMVASTATIN

hope have done this ok Sue weight 10st-6lb height 5ft-7ins

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
hi Jeannie sorry,it's been one of those days.I suggest that you get hold of a carb counter book such as Collins Gem Carb or calorie counter,either one is good.Check how much carbs are in the tins of fruit ,for instance.Tomatoes are also quite high at 4.7 g for a medium tomato(what does h/g mean?)The complex carbs like bread,rice ,pasta,potatoes will also put up your BS levels.I suggest you reduce the portions of these things slowly and see if that has any effect on your BS levels.

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
fergus said:
Hi Jeenie,

Sorry I've missed your previous posts.
Unfortunately, once a day testing will tell you nothing useful. It's particularly important if you're to remain diet controlled that you test to see your response to foods. Tell your diabetes nurse that the NICE guidelines are pretty supportive of testing and that you can't expect to remain diet controlled without it. The meds are a whole lot more pricey than the strips!
Once they prescribe the strips, test 4 or 5 times a day until you get a good understanding about how your body responds to foods. Even if you have to buy the **** strips yourself, it's the best investment you could make in your future health.

All the best,

fergus
Hi Fergus, Good news Re-strips, persuaded nurse to give me 100 strips yesterday, need a plan now , was a bit overwhelmed and tearful this morning, woke up feeling and thinking was it worth it , all the effort etc etc but its got to be, so please can you advise with a plan, just to start me off, got a party on sat ,{will still be wary of what i eat,and not so good i,m still losing weight another 2lbs since last wed ) sorry if i seem allover the place, but, thats how i feel