need help please

waynead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi.i work on average 30 hours a week.i currently undergo laser treatment for diabetic retinophaphy and im having difficulties with my vision.ie bumping into things.not normal vision.ive been told i could make a claim for disability living allowance.would i have to stop working in order to claim,or can i carry on working.hope to hear from anyone who can shed some light on this please.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are allowed to work, you don't have to give up work and claim benefits, that's not the idea of DLA or PIP as its now known. It's there to help with the extra expenses you may need to help you with your disability. All that said its not easy to get as there is strict criteria, I would certainly try to claim if you think find you are needing extra help.

martsnow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are allowed to work and claim esa as long as you do not work more than 16 hrs per week. The work has to be permitted work and approved by the local job centre plus. My advice would be to ask to see a benefits advisor at your council house. I struggled on esa and a small pension until my benefits were checked and I found out for ten years I could have been claiming DLA for both care and mobility. All it costs is a phone call and filling out a form. You have nothing to lose so please give it a try.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may help you click on the link. And a short passage copied that may apply to you

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/work-people-living-disability-or-health-conditions

Disability benefits
Disability living allowance (DLA), personal independence payment (PIP) and attendance allowance are payable whether or not you are working. They are not means tested, so earnings do not affect the amount of your benefit.
Starting a job may suggest that your care or mobility needs have changed, so your benefit entitlement could be reconsidered. It is possible that your care needs may actually increase if you move into work. The DWP views starting or leaving work as a potential ‘change of circumstances’ for DLA and PIP. Consequently, you should inform them if you start working.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
hi.i work on average 30 hours a week.i currently undergo laser treatment for diabetic retinophaphy and im having difficulties with my vision.ie bumping into things.not normal vision.ive been told i could make a claim for disability living allowance.would i have to stop working in order to claim,or can i carry on working.hope to hear from anyone who can shed some light on this please.
You can claim PIP but as far as I know you have to have been affected by your condition for 3 months and I suspect it has to last more than 3 months. Obviously best bet would be the RNIB or CAB to help you out with this. I hope your vision soon settles down.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I too had this problem during my period of having laser treatment. I can now gladly say my eye sight has calmed down but it did come with its disadvantages like bumping into people at work or walking into equipment that isn't in my field of vision. Most gutting part was having my driving licence took off me. I have recently had a kidney pancreas transplant as it ruined my kidneys too but yes I'd try applying for PIP personal independent payment if you can get a report on how restricted your vision is from your doctor this will help you ! And yes you can still work whilst claiming DLA or PIP as it is called now