Need help, think my 21 month old is diabetic

Riv94

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My 21 month old has been displaying signs of diabetes and I really don’t know what to do now.
She’s been losing weight over the last few weeks and I just put it down to her walking more. Her nappies often leak and if they haven’t her clothes are still wet, particularly on the back of her tops. She’s got dark sunken rings under her eyes and really struggles with sleeping. She can take 2-3 hours to even fall asleep at night even though she’s absolutely exhausted. She rarely sleeps the whole night, often waking once or twice. She takes just as long to nap in the day and they often only last 30 minutes so she’s permanently tired. She’s often irritable but I don’t know if that’s just down to her being exhausted. I’ve recently noticed on her big toe it’s got a blueish discoloured ring around the bottom and the rest of her toenails are thick and yellow. They’re quite hard to cut and often curl under themselves and dig into her skin :(

I feel like even if it’s not diabetes, there’s definitely something going on. I feel awful, like I’ve let her down but the gp just won’t listen and passes everything off as a viral infection. I really don’t know what to do now.

If you have any advice, id be very grateful!

TIA

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome to the forum.

There isn’t much clue as to what causes diabetes to this day.
Since you may have no access to a blood glucose meter to confirm BG readings.

If you are in the UK? Phone 111 NHS. In my experience an advisor can dispatch an ambulance & fast track for a possible second opinion from your GP’s.

Best wishes.