Need help with exercise and sugars

Carl Ray

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so nice to be here. I'm 50, have been type 1 since 2000. Never been into fitness but I was 69kg 179cm tall. Got into the gym at Christmas this year and I've loved it. Every day I go to the gym at lunchtime, cycle 7 miles then run,row or use the weights. I'm now 82kg in the same size trousers. 34 inch waist. Sugars bounced up and down at first. I work 8 till 5. Cornflakes at 8. Sandwiches at 12. I go to the gym at 1 lunch time. I'm finding that after 3pm I begin to go high. I have insulin, around 6 units at 5 but sugars go up to 17 after evening meal. They then stay high all though the night. I wake at 3am and find I'm still 17! 3 units of insulin, back to sleep and wake again at 6.30. I'm finding I have a terrible hypo at around 8.30 if I'm a minute late with cornflakes. How can I get rid of this high ramp? Lantus taken at 8am 28 units daily. I'm thinking of splitting this to half every 12 hours? Any help appreciated because I am benefitting from the time at the gym. Thank you so much in advance

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi @Carl Ray would like to welcome you to the forum but as not aT1 I am not sure that I am the best person to advise you but I am sure that others more able to help you will reply to your post soon.

So wwill wish you good look in finding a solution to your problems and say by fore now.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm new to this forum so nice to be here. I'm 50, have been type 1 since 2000. Never been into fitness but I was 69kg 179cm tall. Got into the gym at Christmas this year and I've loved it. Every day I go to the gym at lunchtime, cycle 7 miles then run,row or use the weights. I'm now 82kg in the same size trousers. 34 inch waist. Sugars bounced up and down at first. I work 8 till 5. Cornflakes at 8. Sandwiches at 12. I go to the gym at 1 lunch time. I'm finding that after 3pm I begin to go high. I have insulin, around 6 units at 5 but sugars go up to 17 after evening meal. They then stay high all though the night. I wake at 3am and find I'm still 17! 3 units of insulin, back to sleep and wake again at 6.30. I'm finding I have a terrible hypo at around 8.30 if I'm a minute late with cornflakes. How can I get rid of this high ramp? Lantus taken at 8am 28 units daily. I'm thinking of splitting this to half every 12 hours? Any help appreciated because I am benefitting from the time at the gym. Thank you so much in advance

Hi,

welcome to the forum. I do Lantus.
From what you are saying you get lows just as the basal is wearing off..? I do mine around 22.00 hours.
However, you seem to take a correction dose of insulin at around 3am? Could this be Novorapid?
I find that Novorapid can have a lick in the tail around 5 hours later.

To be fair, I don’t do gyms, but I am head butting 54 if this is any help?