need info re BG levels. obesetype2 and low carbing

gaiaxaia

I think you need to check back with your doctor for your own healths sake or ask to see a diabetic team ? but a really good book you may to wish to find on ebay would be 'the diabetes diet' or 'diabetes solution' by Dr Richard Bernstein . This is by a man who is diabetic and was believed to be one of the 1st people to monitor blood glucose levels in 1969. He changed career and trained to become a Dr aged 45 because he found by monitoring his glucose levels after eating what foods maintained even control and he wanted to promote his findings. . He is an inspiration and I think his no nonsense , medical and personal approach bein a diabetic may be helpful to you , he is now in his late 70's living longer than normal T1 diabetics do.
http://www.diabetes-book.com/readit.shtml

Another book you may find helpful is 'pig to twig' a humorous book about low carb dieting,based on the many low carb diets out there ...

And you know I hear you, I am fat a T2 on insulin with PCOS and a few other things, I have no will power; love food; am always cooking; due to ill health its hard for me to exercise at all ; insulin resistant and so on

BUT I take my medication because I have high blood pressure and recently had a TIA , it can happen to anyone I know but diabetes ups the risk, my HBA1C is under such tight control its never been above 6.2 and that was after advice to relax a bit as it was normally 5.9 , so look after yourself and good luck and yopu've given me renewed enthusiasm to try again

sparkles

Hi Gaiaxaia
Well I’m bowled over if I can influence anyone positively and I wish you luck with your endeavours! We can all only do our best as we know it. I have definitely found the reading I have done around the subject very beneficial and it all started with the book on managing diabetes holistically given to me by my son for my birthday this April. I will keep my eyes open for the Bernstein books thanks! He sounds impressive! My grandfather was not so lucky as he. My grandfather died of type 1 diabetes aged only 42 in the 1940s. I never met him and as my mum was only small when he died she also didn’t really know him either. I have his photo on my wall though and I have researched his life and a little of the history of diabetes too in order to put together something of his experience to hand on to my children. (love it if anyone has any info and could start a thread on the history of diabetes to aid my research.) He worked as a pit pony driver at 14, went to WW1 at 16, was a miner, and then during the inter war period rejoined the army. He obviously had a passion for horses and eventually joined the Hussars. He seems to have had a good life. He didn’t go to WW11 probably was too ill by then and died of a diabetic coma during it. We don’t know at what point the developed diabetes. In those days it seems that having diabetes did not debar you from the army. My aunt now aged 80 remembers as a small child having to go each morning to the Drs a few streets away to have his small glass syringe filled up with insulin and then running back home with it. Our was a working class family, mum was one of seven and there was no health service back then. I read insulin (or was it the role of insulin in diabetes) was only discovered in about 1929 (Banting). I eventually realised that had he been born just a bit later my granddad’s life chances may have been so much better -as understanding, education and supply etc improved. Bernstein is probably proof of that. He was born nearer my mother's time than my grandfathers. We have to be so thankful for these medical advances and work alongside them wholeheartedly to improve our own lot. Ultimately the responsibility for our own health lies within ourselves.
I love the title: Pig to Twig!!
I am sure you are many things other than fat…. Many good things! You too have influenced me positively . I shall look after myself from now on. There is just no going back. We must both hold and keep that enthusiasm and not let anything stop our trying. Well for me, now that I’ve found a way I know I can. (try)
I hope it works for you too.
Sparkles.

gillyflower

Hi Sparkles
Just found this post of yours.

When my blood sugar levels drop below 4 - I feel like hell. Confused - shaky and uncoordinated - my Doc says anything under 4 is a hypo.

Viv - I too loved wine but I am very much an addictive personality - So whether its wine - chocolate or whatever - I cant' just have one choc I eat the whole box and I do the same thing with wine :roll:

For me the answer was just to stop drinking. I miss it and feel quite resentful. But my weight is dropping and I have got used to not feeling deprived. I drink sparkling water with fresh lemon juice and some juiced fresh ginger - somehow the heat of the ginger gives me that warm glow that wine used to give.

Gill

sparkles

Hi Gillyflower

I have only dropped into the threes on a couple of occassions since starting and it hasnt really bothered me other than a little worry at the fact that my bg was so low. I am just feeling better and better each day and that is such a relief because I'd been so down for quite a long time. I was wondering how you juice fresh ginger? Do you have a juicing machine. I used to but it went to a charity shop as I never got round to using it much. Do you think the ginger would grate on the fine part of a cheese grater?

SPARKLES