Need some help with what pump.

onthegow

Hi all

I have the opportunity for a pump.
I have sampled the Omnipod trial version to see what it's like. I have tried it it two locations. Arm and abdomen. The arm was ok, but I kept knocking into things. Will take some erring use to I guess.
The abdomen tried and I did not get on with it at all. By the end of the day I wanted to rip it off me. The constant tapping of my dirt drove me crazy. I have one left to try on my leg tomorrow.
I have other options with cannula system but for obvious reasons I cannot try these.

So my question is can anyone suggest the best pump other than Omnipod. I like the idea of Omnipod but not sure it will fit into my life when I need to rotate it around my body.

I am moving to a pump to tighten my control and to provide flexibility to my life. I have to consider my job also in all of this.

With regards to pumps do any of you use CGM and does any of the pumps come with any device, or is this something I need to buy.
Choices I have:
ROCHE
MEDTRONIC
ANIMAS

THANKS FOR LOOKING. advice welcomed!

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great news about the change over to a pump @onthegow :)

I'm using the Omnipod pump and absolutely love it, one of the main reasons for opting for this pump was the fact it was tubeless, the tapping (its more of a click) is just the insulin being delivered and apart from when the bolus is being delivered I rarely here it tbh.

If you wear the Pod in certain area's like the arm you can knock it but they are built to withstand minor knocks, I've clattered mine against door frames a few times and its had no adverse affect on the Pods, also as the adhesive on the back is really strong I've yet to have a pod come away from being knocked and had to change one, you'll know this when you change the pods as they take some removing.

However if you don't think the Omnipod will fit into your life then definitely look for another pump as its no good making the wrong choice, I've heard and read some great things about the Accu-Chek Insight Pump but see this isn't being offered to you, hopefully other pump users will recommend something but you might want have a look at Input, there's some pumps recommendations on their website with user feedback:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/

Reactions: 4 people

onthegow

Hi Noblehead.

Many thanks for the advice. I like the pod all but the feeling on the skin. May take some getting use to.
I will take your advice and check out the link.

Reactions: 2 people

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi oothegow,I've only pump 7 weeks and I use the Medtronic 640g,it suits my personal circumstances, I think it's a superb pump but it really a individual choice and what suits you.I did a lot of research into the pumps available to me before making my choice.

onthegow

Hi yingtong

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to think of every eventuality I'm my life because I'm bound by 4 year usage of the one in pick. I have a week to decide do on with the research
Thanks

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi oothegow,I've lost my hypo awareness and was lucky enough to get funding for a CGM,that is really the only diabetic complication I have and had very good control with MDI and I have had type 1 for over 52 years.I hope your search goes well,I spent many hours agonising over which pump.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had Omnipod for maybe four months now and I love it! It's my first pump, so I can't directly compare, but the idea of being tubed was a bit horrifying for me - as well as the general inconvenience of constantly carrying the pump around, I *know* I'd be catching it on everything!
I mainly wear my pods on my arms - it suits me really well - I barely notice them. I bash it ALL THE TIME, but haven't managed to dislodge anything yet, so no worries there.
I also occasionally wear it on my lower back if I don't want it on my arms for whatever reason. I don't love it quite so much, but it works ok and is surprisingly unobtrusive.
I haven't really managed to make tummy area work at all - it's in the way and inconvenient for lots of stuff that I do, so I just don't use it.
Some people seem to like legs too, though I've not done much yet.

Not quite CGM (though if the fabled Omnipod/Dexcom integrated whatnot ever transpires, I might well give it a go), but I'm also using the Freestyle Libre which, with no exaggeration, has completely changed my diabetes life - I'd recommend it to anyone!

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am on the omi pod too but have used the tubed Medtronic pump too. For me personally I found the paradigm Medtronic pump to big heavy the wires were challenging and there was a lot of faults with the pump mechanically but I must say it is rare mechanical fault but had to happen to me lol the omi pod I love. I wear it everywhere but legs because my body seems to reject it there. It has definitely improved things for me. I feel each pump needs to be chosen on your personal life style. I have known people who use the tube pumps well and works. For me I needed light freedom and more ability to move which I felt the tubes limited me with. Good luck with your choice

onthegow

Thank you misswhiplash andfayefaye1429.
I do like the omni pod. I take it there are no problems using it on the arm all the time with creating lumps etc

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't found lumps. As with all the pumpkin sites I have found they can be torn off by accident caught in door or something but hey I am clumsy. Never had any lumps from the pod and it's been over a year occasion red area but I have sensitive skin

onthegow

Thanks.
Just another observation. Maybe I'm putting the test ones on incorrectly. Does the sticky tape pull anyone else's skin as though it's not flexing with the body.
Thanks for all of your help on here.

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh it does for me I found I am allergic to it and use a spray to prove a bRrior cavil on it might help

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks.
Just another observation. Maybe I'm putting the test ones on incorrectly. Does the sticky tape pull anyone else's skin as though it's not flexing with the body.
Thanks for all of your help on here.

Not noticed that, but when I first started wearing the pods on my arm I did notice a slight drag on the skin when carrying out everyday tasks, I purchased a tubular bandage to wear over the pods which stopped this dragging sensation.

onthegow

It's been 6 months and I now am one week into the pump treatment. Live it. My levels have come right down. And the insulin absorption are fascinating. Anyone considering the pump should go for it.

Reactions: 7 people