Need some help.

mrsportion

Hi there. I was diagnosed type 2 last night. Fasting blood 17. Nurse has sent paperwork off to dietician and I was started on 500mg metformin. Don't know much more than that. Will someone tell me the do's and don'ts? Will I be given info on what to eat? Not really sunk in. I have just eaten as normal today. Would love some advice xxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello MrsPortion, welcome to the group! Hopefully one of the forum management team will spot your post and provide the standard introductory information, which is really useful. As a general rule we believe in testing and adjusting our food according to what the meter tells us. If you are lucky, you will have a good diabetes team at your GP, but you will almost certainly be told to eat starchy carbohydrates with every meal, and many of us don't do that because it makes our blood glucose spike and drives us towards more medication. I go for less carbohydrate and less medication.

If you keep positive, it's really interesting to learn about diabetes and it's empowering to take responsibility for managing your condition and then seeing the benefits of changing what you eat.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi mrsportion and welcome to the forum :) This is the information for new members that has been mentioned above and I hope you will find it helpful:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17088

mrsportion

Great info. Thank you. Very clear and concise.

2nd day on metformin and bit of pain in my upper back. Does this sound normal? If I lose weight, I am only 2.5 stone overweight, would I ever be allowed off meds? Chemist says no so I am concerned about that x

Sketcher

Dislikes
Hello again MrsPortion. I'm glad you got the information and found it useful.

You will be told that diabetes is a degenerative condition, and you will never be cured; you can only get worse. This is a bit depressing and - while it's true that there is no cure, and your pancreas cannot recover, that isn't the whole story. You may well find that, if you manage your diet carefully, you can control your blood glucose better without taking additional medication. After I was diagnosed I was put on Gliclazide; but as I gradually adjusted my diet to include less and lower GI carbs, my blood glucose readings improved, so after 6 months my dose was halved; that meant my BGs rose again, so I reduced carbs further; 6 months later that resulted in the doctor being so pleased that I'm now off medication. Now I maintain fairly normal BG levels by keeping carbs to less than 50g per day. This is just me, and we're all different, but I wanted to let you know that if you explore low carb eating, you may be able to manage your diabetes with more than just medication. I'm not kidding myself that I'll never need to go back on medication, but I like the low carb diet and I'll delay the medication for as long as I can.

mrsportion

Sketcher

Thanks so much. What does 50gms carb equate to? Do you mean you mostly have protein at meals? Do I have to look at everything ie ketchup prob got carbs? Mind working overtime!!! Xx

Could you please tell me how I find replies to my posts as I try to find them and stumble upon the replies by accident lol. I prob wont find yr reply lol xx

Finzi

MrsPortion

In realistic terms (the only way to count carbs properly is to buy a carb counting book and just do it, by making a note of everything you eat, the portion size, and how many carbs are in it) 50g and under of carbs is quite low, and you would achieve it by not really eating anything "obviously" carby - there's not much room in 50g to be regularly having cereals, bread, fruit, pasta, rice or potatoes, or sugary desserts or chocolate. Bread is about 20g per slice, a bowl of cereal 25-30g, a glass of orange juice about 25g, a bar of chocolate about 25g, an apple about 14g, a portion of pasta about 40g. However, unprocessed meat and fish is virtually carb free, so is butter and oil, full fat Greek yoghurt is 3.5g per 100g, vegetables that grow above the ground are low carb, some fruit is ok (not all), seeds and nuts are ok, cheese is almost all very low carb, so is salad. You can eat a very healthy and satisfying diet cutting right down on carbs and eating everything else.

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (64), average BS now between 5 and 6 mmol.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Hello MrsP

I use the app for iPad, which has a tab showing only the threads that I have participated in; I'm not sure if there's a way of setting up notifications when you receive a reply.

It would probably be a good idea to buy a carb-counting book: there's a small one from Collins that gives you a breakdown of how many grams of carbs typical portions of loads of different foods contain.

If you go for very low carb, then you will end up eating a higher proportion of protein, but you will also have to eat more fat (I still haven't quite got over the "guilt" induced by years of conventional healthy eating advice). I eat lots of meat, eggs, nuts, cheese, fish and - importantly - fresh veg (especially greens) and salad. A typical breakfast is egg & sausage (handy kept pre-cooked in the fridge); a lunch might be almond crackers (made myself using mostly ground almonds rather than flour) with smoked salmon or pate or cheese, with dill pickles; dinner (after nibbling nuts and/or olives) is feta and salami with a lot of green salad.

Enjoy exploring the culinary possibilities, guided by your BG meter.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi mrsportion, I'm relatively new to type 2 and I've found some very useful Information here.

Low carb means cutting out the obvious sources of sugar in your diet such as sweets, fizzy drinks, chocolate, cakes and pastries. It also means reducing potatoes, rice, pasta and bread which are high in carbs. Breakfast cereals are also high in carbohydrates and will spike the blood sugar.

Have a look at viv's modified Atkins thread for an example of what is meant by low carb diet.

I use myfitnesspal.com to record what I eat every day. It contains a food database that automatically works out the nutritional content of the food you are eating, including carbs. If you've never been carb-conscious before, it is quite a revelation!

For me, a low carb day will start with eggs for breakfast, (3 boiled or 2 in a cheese omelette), lunch will be the meat option at work with veggies but no starches (I.e. potato, rice, bread or pasta), dinner at home will be a soup or stew. I am still weaning myself off sugar (had a serious addition) so I allow 1/2 a snickers bar at night.

Those who keep their carbs low often report the lowest blood sugar readings. Everyone is different. Some go as low as no more than 30g per day. You will find what works for you. I tend to average about 120g per day. But I'm new to this, and based on my readings I think I will have to go lower.

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh, forgot about the best thing about low carbing - no hunger pangs between meals!

When I didn't control carbs I was ALWAYS hungry, even with a full stomach I felt compelled to eat more and more. Low carb means freedom from the compulsion to always be nibbling. I have forgotten about elevenses - me, who used to get nineses and tenses as well as elevenses!

mrsportion

Thank you, everyone for the advice. So how many carbs a day should I aim for? I have a Patrick Holford GL book. Do you think this will help? Only being diagnosed Monday, I haven't seen dietician yet but I normally would have porridge for breakfast with soya milk and I use a spoonful of xylitol. Do you know if that is allowed? I have my fitness app so thanks for the reminder, I will use that.

This is my third day on metformin and I feel a little bit down and absolutely frozen. This is so out of character for me as I am constantly boiling hot but my feet are so cold, I cannot get warm. Still going to the loo 5 times a night and only limiting myself to sips of water, even though my throat is stuck together, so I don't end up going 10 times a night.....therefore constantly tired with full nights sleep. Also felt a bit light headed today.

I am keen to record my blood sugar and just asked my Dr. for a meter and he said only type 1 require a meter and he will check my bloods when I go there. He said if I buy my own he will not supply the strips. Is this correct? Should I buy one and keep a check on myself as I do want to make a conscious effort to get this right.

Sorry to keep waffling on but I am craving info at the moment.

xxxxx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi mrsportion .

I have moved and merged your posts into here .
This is to get you more help and replies .
It should be better for you to locate too :)

If you need any help around the forum - just PM a moderator or myself.
Or pop a post on here if easier for you , this will be fine :)
[mods are in green/me in blue]
We will do our best to assist you :thumbup:
Hope this helps you ...

Anna.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Hello MrsPortion

It's a pity that you've got one of "those" GPs that won't provide test strips. You can't possibly adjust your diet to suit your particular needs without testing before you eat and then 2 hours later. I'm sure you'll find it empowering to be able to test your BG and see the effects that different foods have on you. No-one can tell you how many grams of carbs to eat - you need to come to your own conclusions, based on testing. The pharmaceutical companies will provide meters free of charge if you ask (try the web sites of Bayer and Accu-Chek; if there is no obvious offer, try telephoning); but you'll have to buy your own test strips - if you insist, as a diabetic on medication, you'll get them VAT-free, but they are still expensive. Quite a few people on this forum use the CodeFree meter from Amazon; it's inexpensive and the strips are cheap, but many report that it reads 1 unit higher than other meters - not a problem if you allow for it.

Once you know how different foods affect you, you won't need to test so often. The test that your GP does, based on a syringe-taken blood sample (rather than a finger-prick) is the HbA1c, which effectively provides an average view of your BG levels over the previous 3 months - this is very useful, but can't tell you whether a slice of wholemeal toast will give you a BG spike. You're about to start a really fascinating journey and we on the forum will do our best to help you along the way.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
A good start to look for info is bloodsugar 101, google it, its packed with info.
Also test after 2 hours that way you know what affect the food you have just eaten has on your blood sugars. Exercise also reduces blood sugar, walking etc.

sue cope

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am Type 2 and have had no trouble getting a free blood testing meter from one of the companies producing them, and all the things I need to go with it (test strips and lancets) from my GP on prescription. Keeping good control will save the NHS lots of money if you can avoid hospitalisation for various diabetic complications, some of which can be serious and costly. However, I am on Insulin and maybe GPs don't want to pay for test strips etc for those patients who aren't. You could just try asking again, pointing out the benefits to you and cost saving for the NHS !

candiloo

Hi - take care with your carbohydrates - see how many you can have by trial and error, what keeps your blood sugar in the right area with the metformin. It will help you lose weight too if you need to. Be careful of sugar substitutes, but it is carbs not just sugar you need to keep a look out for, and this will help keep it down. Research on line also - how to keep blood glucose down - and it will give you hints as to the best foods. Stevia is the only sweet thing that appears to have no side effects, but it is expensive. Metformin has a lot of side effects in the farty pants and tummy upset departments for some people too, so invest in charcoal tablets ( take seperately) and Windeze unless you want to lose your friends!