Need the name of a meter

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi guys,

I seem to recall there is a meter that does everything in one go? e.g) pricks then goes onto a strip then gives you a reading. So that there is no fiddling around inserting the strips etc. Does anyone use one can give me more info or even just the name of it

Thanks in advance

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello

I might be wrong but it might be the Libre you are thinking of...? I haven't got one myself but hear they're good though they are not available on prescription yet.

Hope that helps x

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lovinglife I use the Accuchek Mobile, which is fully self contained. Is this the one you are talking about? https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/blood-glucose-meters/mobile
What would you like to know about it?
That's the one thank you, just a couple of questions - it's for my dad who lives alone is T2 on insulin, blind and has some memory issues. At the moment he is really struggling and not managing to test on his own so his sugars a bit all over the place.

Do you prick and then just leave your finger there for the reading or do you need to move your finger to the strip?
How big is the screen are the numbers quite big?
Can you get it on Perscriptions? - I want to be able to make a case that my dad needs this meter not the one he is currently prescribed

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It must be a nightmare for blind people.

Obviously the blood drop has to touch the strip or there would be no blood for the meter to read.

I wouldn't like to use it if I were blind, but there again I wouldn't like to use any other meter and strips.

It sounds like an Abbott Freestyle Libre would be his best bet as the sensor sits on your arm with a tiny filament penetrating the skin. All you have to do is scan it. However, they are not currently issued on prescription.

Reactions: lovinglife

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I currently get my consumables (lancets and strip cartridges) on prescription, but there has been talk on here that they may be stopping prescribing this particular range due to cost, but I have heard nothing yet. The operation is very simple, in that you slide the cover open, wait for beep, apply drop, and remove finger, and wait for second beep. Not sure if it may be a little tricky if his fingers are not very nimble, but infinitely easier than messing around with strips! The readout numbers for the blood result are about 10 or 11mm tall, and bright yellow, on a black background so very visible (in my opinion). The finger pricker is a pen, attached to the side of the meter, but can be detached, however you do need to finger prick then apply blood.
I have seen numerous threads where people complain about failed tests, but I get 100% success. I would definitely advocate Lbre or Dexcom (allows remote monitoring using nightscout) as an alternative, but cost and calibrations do need to be considered.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
If you contact accu chek directly by phone just tell them a little about your dad's probs they will send you a mobile meter free just make sure doctor will give you test strips on prescription there quite expensive you will find accu chek phone number on diabetes web sites hope this helps if not let me know?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone for all your help - I agree a libre would be ideal for the blind part, but Dad is deteriorating quite quickly memory wise so I don't think he would manage it

i feel utterly useless as I can't be with him as much as I would like and trying to manage him (awful phrase but it's the only way I can describe it) from afar - he is struggling on all levels but because he has savings over the threshold it's down to family i.e. me to source everything- no help from soc. services- I already have my hands full at home with my adult son who I am a full time carer for - feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment- ooops that turned into a bit of a brain dump - sorry didn't mean too but sometimes it just comes out doesn't it lol

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Sorry to here about all you problems I my self have had 3 strokes and like you they keep saying help is out there heck if I know where it is wife had to give up work to become my full time carer but hope you will find the strength to carry on sounds like your doing a darn good job hugs to you .

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I am sorry to hear about what is clearly a very difficult situation. Have you looked at the options around the Dexcom G4 and G5? The nightscout system (#wearenotwaiting) is specifically tailored for parents to monitor their childrens blood sugars whilst apart, but this sounds like it could offer some piece of mind for you whilst you are not in the vicinity? Feel free to PM me if you want to see the accuchek mobile at first hand, happy to send you any photos if it will help

Q4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi guys,

I seem to recall there is a meter that does everything in one go? e.g) pricks then goes onto a strip then gives you a reading. So that there is no fiddling around inserting the strips etc. Does anyone use one can give me more info or even just the name of it

Thanks in advance

Q4444

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu chek mobile I have used one for a number of years as I also suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and cannot grip the strip and insert into a meter

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are talking meters also not sure which ones, they are for those who are VI.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are talking meters also not sure which ones, they are for those who are VI.
Thanks Jon - dad already has the talking meter- it's not reading the display that's the problem - he needs a hand to hold the meter - even putting on the edge of the work surface because the small amount of vision he has is distorted he can't find the meter without feeling for it - thus knocking it away - he needs his other hand to point a strong torch and a magnifier so that he can see the strip. We've tried all sorts of combinations but nothing works, basically he needs 3 hands lol. To see how he has to inject is unbelievable- it involves torches cushions magnifiers and the skills of a juggler

Thanks I really appreciate everyone's help

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jon - dad already has the talking meter- it's not reading the display that's the problem - he needs a hand to hold the meter - even putting on the edge of the work surface because the small amount of vision he has is distorted he can't find the meter without feeling for it - thus knocking it away - he needs his other hand to point a strong torch and a magnifier so that he can see the strip. We've tried all sorts of combinations but nothing works, basically he needs 3 hands lol. To see how he has to inject is unbelievable- it involves torches cushions magnifiers and the skills of a juggler

Thanks I really appreciate everyone's help

A few years ago I had a District Nurse call round to take bloods before my next cancer treatment. She told me she had 2 patients in my local vicinity that she visited daily (or even more than once, I don't know) to give them insulin injections. Have you enquired about this service in your dad's area? It may be worth a try.