needing too much insulin & Night Time lows/highs

Matty_Type1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Guys,

I am currently on Fiasp and Tresiba.

I also have the libre machine.

over the past few months when using libre I seem to be going low in the middle of the night and then shooting up and come morning I am in the teens when I test my blood sugar reading.

I also think that I am needing to much fiasp to keep me right...

when diagnosed at 12 through to early 20s I was taking 10-12 units per meal and can see now that I am sometimes needing 20+ units per meal to keep me right.

My eating hasn't really changed and I am taking this into consideration.

Any ideas?

I have tried reducing my Tresiba but doesn't seem to work, I have also tried reducing fiasp at evening meal but this doesn't work either as I run high come bed time.

anyone else went through something like this?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I second that it could be compression lows, only way to find out if you're actually hypoing is by finger pricking or set an alarm to test half way through the night. I have experienced a 4-5 hr hypo in my sleep and when I do wake up, I finger prick to confirm it and write a note to say I did hypo and tell my consultant when I get round to seeing him. Tresiba is quite a flat line basal, you need to give it 4 days to settle before making any adjustments, it doesn't have a peak like levemir and lantus. If you haven't done a carb counting course, you need to speak with your team about it so you can adjust your insulin according to your food. You might be given the knowledge to have a different ratio at evening meals. DP might be a cause for your high morning readings, so I don't know whether a different basal insulin is better for you. My DP is quite mild, so tresiba does it's job except when it's hormonal week or I'm going through stress or I didn't take enough bolus for my evening meal, it'll carry that high blood sugar until morning. Also are you in any way insulin resistant? Some type 1s do suffer some level of insulin resistance, you might not be. Do you keep a food diary of what you are eating? Some carbs break down sooner than others and greasy food delays the rate at which the stomach empties, which slows down the absorption of glucose from digestion. A high-fat meal can also make it more difficult for your insulin to work well, resulting in your blood-glucose level after your meal being higher than expected.