1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Needle stuck in skin, Ouch!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Dixon1995, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Dixon1995

Dixon1995 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

TLDR at the bottom

So I've been a diabetic for 9 years and today is the first time this has happened.

Bricks were excreted by me today, how can a tiny 4mm cause so much panic in a 23 year old? I injected as normal, waited 10 seconds and went to pull the pen and needle away from my stomach, felt a tug, looked down, oh ****, what do I do, was pulling harder and harder omg the pain was unreal, so I let go and stood there like an idiot running around the house thinking what do I do call into the doctors to remove it how would I drive like this :joyful:

I calmed down a bit after taking my fleece, t-shirt and lanyard off because they all decided it would be fun to annoy the life out of me further, all with one hand, other supporting the pen. I managed to twist the pen off from the needle and ended up like this below just sat there chilling. Decided to call it needle mc needleface and live with it for the rest of my life, I imagined it has somehow turned into a fishing hook and was stook inside but how I don't know.

I started panicking because after this picture I started bending it around and pulling it harder and it started bleeding and then I thought what if it snaps inside and then what *shudder*

Anyway while it felt sickening and while pulling my skin off it made a clipping noise and came out, and the strangest thing was, it was only slightly bent but still looked straight, I have NO idea what it was caught on.

[​IMG]

TLDR; A 4mm got stuck in my stomach and for 30 minutes I looked like a madman trying to pull it out and my skin with it.

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. res1492

res1492 Type 2 · Active Member

I would have stuck some googly eyes on it and took her out for a date....yes yes....im a bit lonely, so what!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    #2 res1492, Mar 7, 2019 at 5:05 PM
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  3. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

@Dixon1995
    i would be really interested to know what brand of needles you are using.............the quality is not the same in all brands
    i dont want to predjudice anything until you reply .....but i already have a candidate in mind

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  4. Dixon1995

Thankyou for asking, I was on BD microfine needles and they were great. I have been moved onto Omnican Fine now.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Ouch poor you, painful and scary. I wonder if the needles GP's change us over to, because of lower costs, could be the problem ? but sometimes, it's just one of those things.
    Ps Phew, I haven't seen a man's tummy in a while o_O:happy:

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Robinredbreast, Mar 7, 2019 at 5:38 PM
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  6. Dixon1995

I think I over reacted a little bit but I know needles can snap and I wouldn't want that stuck in my stomach forever! It might well be the new needles, if it happens again i'll say something. Haha :smug:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

the omnican are inferior needles -- there have been many anecdotal reports in the #DOC ( diabetes online community ) of this happening i would take the picture into your GP .... complain and ask to be put back on BD

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Dixon1995

I think I might just do that, thankyou very much for your input.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook