needles changed

pkw55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Poor service
Hi
I have recently had the needles I use changed by my Dr to a brand Braun Omnican. these needles are proving a hazard due to the poor quality, the thread in the outer protecter is so poor that often after unscrewing for an age the needle still is attached resulting in me being stabbed by it (lol). I feel thee are very cheep quality and poor economically not to sure on the price difference between these and the Nova fine I have used for a long time

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mention it to your Dr about the poor quality and the difficulties you are experiencing, I'm sure once they know they will change you back or provide you with needles from another manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This happened to me as well, gp told me that I was injecting and using the needles wrong and I had to be shown how to use them right, 2 weeks ago I saw diabetes centre, and I spoke to them about it and I am back to using my original needles

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Reactions: 2 people

izzy

My OH on picking up his repeat script had been automatically changed to these needles. However, since his 1st experience of these needle, we have moved practices. We immediately went back to the surgery and told them that these needles were of poor quality and prone to bending on injection and breaking off and asked for the old needles to be reinstated. The reply was (from the receptionist) that a review of all insulin using diabetics had been done and ALL had been changed to the new type. We once again pointed out the problems and she retorted that it wasn't possible to have had any experiences with these needles as the were new to the surgery. The smug look was soon wiped from face when I pointed out that it was at a previous surgery that we had encountered these problem needles. We stood our ground and asked for the old style to be put back on repeat.. At which point, the Diabetic Nurse was summoned ,a brief outline given by the receptionist, and a reply from the Nurse insisting that these were the "norm" now. To which we said that they are no good, and was she or the surgery prepare to be held accountable should they break in situ and cause a visit to a hospital? The old needles were reinstated there and then.