Needles

Starxgirl

I used to use the 8mm needles taking my insulin when my diabetic nurse found out she went crazy got me the smaller needles. But I've noticed when using smaller needles taking my insulin in my tummy area it sometimes comes up in a lump give it a good rub for a minute or 2 then it disappears. But never happens when use the 8mm needles. Anyone else have this problem?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to use the 8mm needles taking my insulin when my diabetic nurse found out she went crazy got me the smaller needles. But I've noticed when using smaller needles taking my insulin in my tummy area it sometimes comes up in a lump give it a good rub for a minute or 2 then it disappears. But never happens when use the 8mm needles. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi there, do you change the needle EVERY time you use it?, I was recently on a course and they said that was imperative and showed us how they blunt after just one use. Also I find if I put the needle to the skin and don't push it in but sort of let it sink in itself, it doesn't create any lumps. x

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Prior to getting a pump, I had exactly the same problem when I was changed to 6mm needles, always used a new one for every injection, but the only thing that resolved it was going back to back to 8mm needles.

hyponilla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Starxgirl, I've had this happen a few times when I didn't stick the needle deep enough. Guess it's just the insulin that pools directly under your skin because the injection's too shallow. It doesn't seem to make any difference to the absorption.

If it was me and I felt more comfortable with 8mm needles I would stick with that. They recommend shorter needles because there's a tiny chance of intramuscular injection. Though if you inject into areas with enough fat it's virtually nil, especially if you pinch.