nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Yesterday I did 4 rounds of experiments to find out the best mix, since I forgot what I did when I invented the recipe. So the final recipe is:
2.5 T sesame flour ( I grind sesame seeds in the blender)
3/4t Baking powder.
pinch of salt
1T cooking oil
1 egg
Baked it for 2m30sec, but my microwave is low wattage, so bake for 2min, and check if the center is baked and if not add 30 sec.
The trick is to make it in a tall mug, with narrow diameter in low wattage microwave. If i make the same mix in a ramekin which has a 12cm diameter in 2 min it is not baked in the center. But my friend baked it in a ramekin and it was fine in her microwave. Diameter needs to be small, or you bake it longer, but in a mug it is much fluffier, and lighter.
Also my baking powder is a bit old so try it with 1/2 t first. Use level measuring spoons.
Now I bought a new microwave...1000w...so 2 min is even too long in a ramekin. Try 1.40sec first if you have powerful microwave

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Do you think almond flour would work?
I am sure it will, but the taste of this bread is soo good that I am worried almond flour can make it a bit sweeter. I am also looking at costs. Sesame seeds are USD3 per kg here while almonds are USD20...so it makes a big difference to me. I am in Africa.
I shall try it with almond flour and report.

Reactions: 4 people

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
What about ordinary Dove's flour? Might try it.
I am sorry,, I dont know what dove flour is but let me try to Mr Google.
This is what I found for 100g.
Free From Gluten Self Raising White Flour 1kg
Nutrition
Typical values per 100g
Energy 1459kJ
Energy 344kcal
Fat 1.0g
of which saturates 0.3g
Carbohydrate 78.1g
of which sugars 0.1g
Fibre 1.4g
Protein 5.5g
Salt 0
This is just too much carbs for me. I am diabetic.
My bread has 4 g carbs for the whole loaf which is roughly 2 normal slices of bread.
sesame seeds for 100g has only 23 g carbs, and if you turn it into flour the volume increase so two spoons of sesame seed flour will be less in carbs than 2 spoons of seeds, so it has less than 4 carbs. Added to it is the fact that it tastes divine, for me that is a better option.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
I just googled sesame seeds for sale in UK> 25 kg is &90....he he he! That will last you for 20 years, and it comes to &3.6 per KG.
Here you can buy 1kg for &4: &=UK pound he he he
http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/sesame-seeds-whole-natural-large.html And remember it is light. You can make probably 100+ little loafs from it.
If you look for them in Indian shops you will find them much cheaper.
Almond flour is &22 per kg, and rough almonds &10 per kg.
https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/almond-flour-sukrin-250g.html
https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/almonds-whole-1kg.html
So apart from the fact that the taste is great they are much more economical, and half the carbs are from fiber.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
My friend made the recipe and used :
Let me just post for you what she said:
Hehehe I have tried the bread... the first one didnt come out good as 3mins to long ao I did another mixture for 2 mins... I did 3 tbls seseame and one tbsp flax seed 1/2 tsp bp one Tbsp cooking oil and pinch salt one egg and 2mins in microwave Yummmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
She made it in ramekin, but her microwave is much stronger than mine.

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Ooo...oooo I'm going to try it. 4g of carbs for the whole loaf. It will last me 3 days so only just over 1g per day. I'm on 20g strict carbs so I'll lose it somewhere else. Might also try it with almond flour and I also have some coconut flour.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

cloudreader

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe Neli, I am always on the look out for the perfect bread recipe!
One question about your friend´s variant, does she mill the flax seeds or she uses them to make a seeded bread?

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, thanks for the recipe. Sorry about the Dove's flour, I hadn't thought things through! The reason for using that is the fact that I'm also a celiac (can't digest gluten) too, so have a double trouble when it comes to flour in recipes. I could eat almond flour but as you say it could be somewhat sweet - and its expensive. If I want bread or pastry I have to calculate the carbs in gluten-free flour and carry on accordingly. Nothing's easy is it?

cloudreader

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The bread is a bit sweet for my taste, I have to try to add some powder garlic and perhaps chilli powder...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been using (Sukrin) sesame flour for baking savoury goods for a while now as an alternative to ground almonds which is a cheaper option than almond flour. Sesame flour has a nice close texture and I've found it's also great for making cheese on toast and even dip/fried bread to go with my bacon! :D

I make individual muffins rather a larger "loaf" and depending on how I feel will add various extras or combinations: grated cheese, mustard powder, paprika, herbs, grated courgettes, chopped walnuts, milled flax, chia, etc. 7-8 muffins take about 3 mins on high in my microwave and they last a week in the fridge.

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Is Sukrin a brand name for sesame flour and where can you buy it in the UK please?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is Sukrin a brand name for sesame flour and where can you buy it in the UK please?
Kevin, yes Sukrin's a brand name - they're a Scandinavian firm but have a UK web site, and make a lot of low carb baking and sweetening ingredients (not all diabetic I think). Amazon (UK) and avidlite also sell it and I believe some supermarkets may do so too - possibly Waitrose?

They've been something of a saviour for me baking-wise, but are a bit pricey though...

Robbity

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Robbity....Amazon just love me at the moment, I'm responsible for this quarter's profits. :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Robbity....Amazon just love me at the moment, I'm responsible for this quarter's profits. :)
:D:D

And I may be at the other end of the seesaw - I have Prime membership and must cost them a fortune in free postage.

Actually if you're going for the sesame flour check the Sukrin site first, they do reductions for bulk order and quite often offer free postage as an incentive to "like" them on Facebook... Every little counts!

Robbity

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Ooo...oooo I'm going to try it. 4g of carbs for the whole loaf. It will last me 3 days so only just over 1g per day. I'm on 20g strict carbs so I'll lose it somewhere else. Might also try it with almond flour and I also have some coconut flour.

He he he! you should try it...but I am afraid it is for one meal only. It is a small one, equivalent to 2 slices of bread. But I promise you will love it.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe Neli, I am always on the look out for the perfect bread recipe!
One question about your friend´s variant, does she mill the flax seeds or she uses them to make a seeded bread?
She meals the flax seed, into flower like.. Today I bought a new microwave so my future recipes will be better adjusted to your kind of microwaves.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Yes, thanks for the recipe. Sorry about the Dove's flour, I hadn't thought things through! The reason for using that is the fact that I'm also a celiac (can't digest gluten) too, so have a double trouble when it comes to flour in recipes. I could eat almond flour but as you say it could be somewhat sweet - and its expensive. If I want bread or pastry I have to calculate the carbs in gluten-free flour and carry on accordingly. Nothing's easy is it?
This bread saved my sanity. You must try it.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks

i posted some links for on line shopping , but i am sure you can find sesame seeds in any supermarket, and blend it into flour.