Nerve pain like shingles ?

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Joined this forum on behalf of my Hubby who has been told that his blood sugar is very high and that the nerve pain he is experiencing is due to uncontrolled blood sugar.

Has anyone else had experience of nerve pain that resembles shingles without the rash ? Started in his side and went round to his back, stabbing/burning/bruised feeling with numb areas and itchy/crawling sensations ? Has been scanned and liver/gallbladder all fine but GP doesn't think it's shingles as no rash was present.

Has been going on for 2 months now with fatigue/sweating, heat rash/spots all general virus like symptoms. Has high BP and fasting blood level read 17 the other morning. Not on any meds (yet) and still waiting to see diabetic nurse.

Can anyone advise please ?

Unjustified

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogant people and liars
Hi, Im unaware of what shingles feels like (thankfully) but the nerve damage, or neuropathy, in my legs felt like a burning painful pins and needles sensation, with constant cramps and muscle spasms, which I suffered with for 2 years, trying different drugs, the main one being gabapentin.

A doctor recommended trying Quinine and within a week all the pain had disappeared. I still have the numbness, and get the occasional cramp, but the Quinine changed my life. 200mg Quinine Sulphate every evening.

Hope this helps,

James

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have no idea what shingles feels like as I have never had shingles.
I have neuropathy in both feet but it's the nerve pain mainly in my ankles going up into my calves.
That feels like a bad case of pins and needles.
Looking back, a few years ago, my feet felt like that pre diabetes. I had no idea what it was and just presumed it was due to being so overweight

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Im unaware of what shingles feels like (thankfully) but the nerve damage, or neuropathy, in my legs felt like a burning painful pins and needles sensation, with constant cramps and muscle spasms, which I suffered with for 2 years, trying different drugs, the main one being gabapentin.

A doctor recommended trying Quinine and within a week all the pain had disappeared. I still have the numbness, and get the occasional cramp, but the Quinine changed my life. 200mg Quinine Sulphate every evening.

Hope this helps,

James
I've not heard of using Quinine ( and I'm a herbal medicine student !) for nerve pain so that is very interesting thank you. I shall make a note of that and see what the outcome is after he has seen the nurse. Many thanks and I'm glad that your pain has improved.

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea what shingles feels like as I have never had shingles.
I have neuropathy in both feet but it's the nerve pain mainly in my ankles going up into my calves.
That feels like a bad case of pins and needles.
Looking back, a few years ago, my feet felt like that pre diabetes. I had no idea what it was and just presumed it was due to being so overweight
Hi Ally1 from what I understand diabetic nerve pain generally starts in the feet/hands and spreads to the limbs. So we are a bit confused that Hubby has his pain in his side and back. It alternates between stabbing pain, bruised feeling, itchy and numbness-very like shingles ! Another forum member has said that his pain responded well to Quinine Sulphate which is very interesting. Has your Dr given you anything for the pain ?

Reactions: ally1

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Hi Ally1 from what I understand diabetic nerve pain generally starts in the feet/hands and spreads to the limbs. So we are a bit confused that Hubby has his pain in his side and back. It alternates between stabbing pain, bruised feeling, itchy and numbness-very like shingles ! Another forum member has said that his pain responded well to Quinine Sulphate which is very interesting. Has your Dr given you anything for the pain ?
Not given anything for the nerve pain from my gp.
He is wary to give me painkillers because of my other meds.
Also, in the past, I used to be addicted to codeine and solphadeine