Nervous Of Basal Change

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. I am changing from toujeo to levemir tonight and im so nervous in case it all goes badly wrong with hypos and hypers. Im doing the split dose for the first time so have no idea what to expect. Any words of wisdom or calmness?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lynz84 . Can't comment on your basal on account I'm a lantus user.
Saying that though, prior to a DAFNE course I was asked/ instructed to split my doses.
It was a godsend. It provided a far greater degree of control especially through the night. Definitely made things a lot easier for me.
Sorry can't help more.
Good luck and you will be okay. A bit more checking at first but you will figure it out in no time:)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any words of wisdom or calmness?
You'll be fine!
And if nervous, set an alarm to test extra through the night. Remember, it's a slow acting basal insulin, you won't drop like a brick!

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Lynz84 . Can't comment on your basal on account I'm a lantus user.
Saying that though, prior to a DAFNE course I was asked/ instructed to split my doses.
It was a godsend. It provided a far greater degree of control especially through the night. Definitely made things a lot easier for me.
Sorry can't help more.
Good luck and you will be okay. A bit more checking at first but you will figure it out in no time:)
Thank you so much!

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You'll be fine!
And if nervous, set an alarm to test extra through the night. Remember, it's a slow acting basal insulin, you won't drop like a brick!
Oh thank you Antje77! I think thats what im wary of! I will def do extra testing. Thank you x

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lynz84 . I truly believe that one of the greatest weapons T1 diabetes possesses is " seeds of doubt ".
It's totally understandable to feel nervous or even scared. It gets us all that way at times.
Be positive, it's the best way to deal with the doubts. You're a T1 diabetic so it stands to reason that you're a winner.;)

Reactions: Knikki

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Lynz84 . I truly believe that one of the greatest weapons T1 diabetes possesses is " seeds of doubt ".
It's totally understandable to feel nervous or even scared. It gets us all that way at times.
Be positive, it's the best way to deal with the doubts. You're a T1 diabetic so it stands to reason that you're a winner.;)
Lol well I will certainly try to view it more positively!!

Reactions: Knikki

Gloucestergirl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nightclubs!!
I have been on Lantus and Novorapid for many years and several months ago I decided I would try splitting the Lantus because it was wearing off too early in the evening. I had always been injecting at bedtime as recommended by the diabetes nurse. It's a lot better now as I don't get the high readings before bed that I was getting before. The biggest single dose I was giving myself was 24 units but other things have helped reduce my sugar levels so I am now down to 8 units of Lantus in the morning and 7 units at night = 15units in total. Another thing that has helped is that I started a low carb diet around the middle of May and have very good sugar levels now, even though when I told my diabetes nurse what I had done I could hear the sharp intake of breath as she was concerned that I had taken it upon myself to do that and not consult a professional. When I had seen her in April she told me to have sugar levels of 7-9 before meals and not less than 10 before bed but since cutting down on the carbs I have had much lower levels and have had no problems. She was not too concerned that I could be 15 before meals and even as high as 22 before bed and told me not to do a correction dose to reduce the 22 in case I went hypo in the night! I have had to adjust my Novorapid from 5 units at every meal to 2 or sometimes 3 units if needed. For many years I was told to not be too concerned if my sugar levels were high as they were more concerned about the lows and knowing that I now have damage to my eyes caused by high sugar levels I'm afraid I have lost faith in the diabetes professionals who still insist that higher sugar levels are better than lows. If splitting or adjusting doses of different insulins gives better control then anyone who wants to should try it and keep testing to see what effect it has on sugar levels and they may be surprised what a difference it makes

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I switched from Lantus to Levemir recently, and get less night time hypos. Actually, I don't get less night time hypos, I don't really get any.

Only thing I wonder about is that because Toujeo lasts for longer in the body, will you have any still circulating, but presumably the doctor talked about that before you switched.