Net Carbs

weepete

Dislikes
injustice
I recently purchased low carb pancake mix which said that there was 1 net carb. On the packet it says that each pancake has 8 carbs, CONFUSED.

Just to let you know folks, I am now down to 11stone 12 after starting out at 13stone 9 since i found this site.

Cheers

even wee-er pete

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
could this be the difference in carbs between cooked and uncooked maybe?

How tall are you?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Pete,
Net carbs is the amount of digestible carbs that are left after you discount the non-digestible carbs, like fibre. Your pancake mix has 8g total carbs, but 7g of this is non-digestible and will pass through your body without raising your BS. Only the remaining 1g will raise your BS (and so by not very much!). Looks like your pancake mix is an extremely low carb one.

weepete

Dislikes
injustice
Yes and they were very tasty too, along with my low carb sugar free syrup, yum yum.

Thanks for that Dennis

I am not a great pasta eater but I have purchased some dreamfields.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
where did you get these Wonder products?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
I'm a great fan of Dreamfields pasta. It tastes no different to normal pasta and although it contains the same total carbs as normal pasta, they do something to it that results in only 6g per 100g being digestable. The rest just passes through harmlessly without touching your BS.

caitycakes

Surely the milk required to make the pancakes would make bs levels shoot up? Any way round this anyone?

caitycakes x

caitycakes

Where do you get your low carb products? Can you buy them locally. I only seem to be able to find them on the net and they can be quite expensive.

caitycakes x

caitycakes

Hi,

Found them online at the lowcarb megastore. Ordered some of the pasta and couldn't resist the chocolate microwave cake. You could go mad on there! Quite expensive though, but I'm worth it :mrgreen:

caitycakes x

p.s re the pancakes: if you use cream (no carbs) you can eat more of em!!!!

zanc

I'd like to hear other's experience with Dreamfield's pasta. I tried it and it sent my BS higher than my other low carb (non-starchy) meals.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Americans need to know about net carbs, because their usual method of food analysis measures total carbs, including the indigestible fibre( cellulose, or fibre, is a carbohydrate, a polymer of glucose, but we don't have a mechanism for digesting it).. they have to subtract the value for the fibre to find what metabolically available carbs there are. These are the net carbs.
Here we analyse food differently. We list the available carbs separately from the fibre, so we only list net carbs as carbohydrate.
One odd result is that American food tables look different from ours. Carrots to us are about 7.5% carb, but on an American table they are nearly 11% carb. An American would have to subtract the 2.8% fibre to find that the net carbs in raw carrots are about 7.5%.
I'm rounding up the figures, so they don't add up

Trinkwasser

zanc said:
I'd like to hear other's experience with Dreamfield's pasta. I tried it and it sent my BS higher than my other low carb (non-starchy) meals.

Dreamfields can be weird, for me it gives a slight BG rise over several hours. For others it causes an immediate spike. For others it causes a spike after several hours.

It seems to be important not to overcook it, and also not to reheat it the following day. Probably how you react is dependent on your digestive enzymes.

caitycakes

Well my chocolate microwave cake came from Low Carb Megastore and was duly "nuked". I decided to have a "tried and tested" evening meal so that I could be fairly sure of the effect of the cake. Had a good sized chunk liberally covered with cream. EEEEEEEEkkkkkkk! My 2hr pp test is 8.7. LOW CARB MY ASS!

caitycakes x