neuropathy and ALP

reaman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I bought some ALpha liop..acid....it says maximun 100 mg per day.......do I need more to try to help my neuropathy
Thanks

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I bought some ALpha liop..acid....it says maximun 100 mg per day.......do I need more to try to help my neuropathy
Thanks
I take 300mg of ALA per day along with 250 mg of Benfotiamine, mostly as a precaution.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I find this website a pretty reliable source of info. It seems to say doses over 100mg a day are ok. There is some info there on what sort of doses would be considered toxic.
http://examine.com/supplements/Alpha-Lipoic Acid/

It's a shame that supplements are not regulated like drugs, because it's hard to be assured that the ingredients match the label and that they have been properly researched and tested. Luckily there don't seem to be major issues with this supplement, from what I can tell from the site above.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I take 300mg of ALA per day along with 250 mg of Benfotiamine, mostly as a precaution.
I've been taking 500mg ALA and 500mg Benfotiamine together as a precaution as well. I haven't seen any issues. I believe the doses that have been applied in trials are quite a bit higher.

Reactions: 2 people