Type 1 Neuropathy and Exercise

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys, I haven’t posted here in a long time so quick update! After a history of high glucose I’m now keeping it as controlled as possible and I’m working hard to make sure I’m not having any highs! (Although the odd one is inevitable)

I’ve previously said I have retinopathy and what I feel is some (undiagnosed) nerve damage, my feet tingle in the bath and my muscles get tired pretty easily.

I recently signed up for the gym (before coronavirus shut it down), and so I’ve started to do some home exercises to ease myself into exercise before the gym re opens.

I noticed that my legs were really shaken after my exercises, which were mainly just sit ups and squats, it wasn’t particularly strenuous but I’ve also not been exercising at all so I suppose it’s to be expected.

My question is, will the weakness and soreness of my muscles subside once my body adapts to my new exercise regime or is this now something that will happen constantly due to the nerve damage? And is it even likely I can gain muscle and tone up with neuropathy or am I knackered?

Sorry for rambling or if my questions seem stupid, I’m not very informed on these subjects! I’m feeling a little bit deflated because I really wanted to improve my physical health and this feels like a hard obstacle to overcome, my legs ache like crazy!!

Kind regards, Sam.

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hi guys, I haven’t posted here in a long time so quick update! After a history of high glucose I’m now keeping it as controlled as possible and I’m working hard to make sure I’m not having any highs! (Although the odd one is inevitable)

I’ve previously said I have retinopathy and what I feel is some (undiagnosed) nerve damage, my feet tingle in the bath and my muscles get tired pretty easily.

I recently signed up for the gym (before coronavirus shut it down), and so I’ve started to do some home exercises to ease myself into exercise before the gym re opens.

I noticed that my legs were really shaken after my exercises, which were mainly just sit ups and squats, it wasn’t particularly strenuous but I’ve also not been exercising at all so I suppose it’s to be expected.

My question is, will the weakness and soreness of my muscles subside once my body adapts to my new exercise regime or is this now something that will happen constantly due to the nerve damage? And is it even likely I can gain muscle and tone up with neuropathy or am I knackered?

Sorry for rambling or if my questions seem stupid, I’m not very informed on these subjects! I’m feeling a little bit deflated because I really wanted to improve my physical health and this feels like a hard obstacle to overcome, my legs ache like crazy!!

Kind regards, Sam.
Hi Sam, I understand how you feel. I have bad pain/numbness in my feet/ankles now. Some very sharp stabbing pains some days, other days not too bad. My legs seem to tire quite easily if I cycle and I put it down to nerve damage. I even went as far as buying an electric bike to make the hills easier. I am in my 50s now though and things get more difficult anyway, but I always think the neuropathy makes it more difficult. This last year I have started getting stabbing pains in my wrists and hands. I assume it's part of the neuropathy. I'm not too sure though if neuropathy leads to muscle weakness. If I was you I would still keep up the exercise either way. Someone here will know better than me on the medical side of things.

Reactions: Garway