Neuropathy Assistance

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I am very new to all of this and think I am getting Neuropathy Symptoms (tingling and numbness) , especially last night in bed. Is there anything that reduces this, or i can do to ease it, as it is very unsettling. Can it improve or completely reduce if i do certain things to aid this feeling? Thanks for your assistance in advance.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The usual advice for people suffering with neuropathy is to avoid high blood sugar levels but as your recent HbA1c results were normal, that is unlikely to be the cause of your symptoms. Perhaps another visit to your Dr is your best option

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Even if your HbAc is in range you could be having spikes hidden by low BS the rest of the time, if you aren't testing regularly I suggest you test before and after meals for a while to check what is going on.
Other causes of nerve damage include low folate levels, treated by adding more greens or taking folic acid tablets. This was what caused my nerve damage before I had diabetes - my GP failed to test for it even when I explained my symptoms and when other blood tests indicated I might have this form of anaemia (enlarged red blood cells).

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If you have prediabetes, and I think I remember you having that, then you will not have diabetic neuropathy. You do seem very anxious though. Is that something you could discuss with your doctor? Anxiety can cause very many physical symptoms, including tingling and numbness.

M

Member496333

If you have prediabetes, and I think I remember you having that, then you will not have diabetic neuropathy.

Without wishing to cause undue alarm to @2154, don’t be so sure about that. You are probably right, generally speaking, but it’s not impossible for many many years of excessive circulating insulin to force glucose into tissues and nerves where it becomes toxic, independent of how much glucose can be measured in the blood. I believe insulin itself can also be damaging in extremis but I’m not 100% sure on that.

Not saying you’re necessarily wrong in this case, but there are reports of people experiencing mild neuropathy outside of an official diagnosis, and we know that seemingly well controlled insulin dependent type 2 can still suffer complications. We should never place too much emphasis on blood glucose alone. That is the bit we can measure at home, but diabetic pathology is way more complex than that. Just saying :angelic:

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
I've copied this from one of your 1st post's

slight tinnitus in left ear, then stomach pains around the belly button which felt tender to the touch for about 20 mins then would go off. i then noticed a very light tingling in my toes and fingers on a couple of occasions, but only occasionally. I've been to the doctor a couple of times with these issues and he did all the blood tests (HBA1C included) and said they all came back in the normal range.

"Slight tinnitus in one ear" -- as far as I know does not suggest diabetes.
"Stomach pain for about 20 mins"-- again is not shouting diabetes to me.
"A very light tingling in toes and fingers on a couple of occasions" -- nope not neuropathy, if you had ever experienced the pain of nerve damage you would know why.
Your recent blood tests (including HbA1c) all in the normal range.
So your Dr has not diagnosed you with diabetes, pre diabetes or neuropathy. You need to stop worrying about conditions you don't have and focus on enjoying and living the life you do have

M

Member496333

Gosh I’m in a contradictory mood today, but @catinahat I can’t fully agree with your comment on neuropathy. Mine started out as mild tingling but progressed to eye watering pain and many sleepless nights only after I began to regain control of my glucose. Kind of like the nerves regenerating and subsequently picking up on all the damage. Again, not wishing to cause undue alarm to OP, but it’s an objective fact that neuropathy damage doesn’t always manifest as excruciating pain from the outset.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Gosh I’m in a contradictory mood today, but @catinahat I can’t fully agree with your comment on neuropathy. Mine started out as mild tingling but progressed to eye watering pain and many sleepless nights only after I began to regain control of my glucose. Kind of like the nerves regenerating and subsequently picking up on all the damage. Again, not wishing to cause undue alarm to OP, but it’s an objective fact that neuropathy damage doesn’t always manifest as excruciating pain from the outset.
I still maintain, having read other posts by the OP, that the problem is more about anxiety than anything else. I know of no evidence that insulin levels can cause neuropathy. It results from microvascular damage to the nerves due to excessive levels of glucose and/or lipids and cholesterol. The OP does not have high levels of glucose nor a diagnosis of diabetes. Ergo the OP does not have diabetic neuropathy.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
In fact, the OP has had a diagnosis of diabetes excluded by their GP.

M

Member496333

In fact, the OP has had a diagnosis of diabetes excluded by their GP.

Thats fine. Not trying to argue that OP has diabetes or even neuropathy. Just saying that it’s incorrect to assert that someone can’t have neuropathy based on an arbitrary blood glucose value. Much less HbA1c.

Reactions: sunspots