neuropathy legs

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have neuropathy in my legs just as they were improving last few days been in agony very bed pains hard to walk eating good stuff low bp bs well down to about 10 on average not drinking etc was getting plenty of exercise going to a gym today but had to cncel so bad doc said not really good idea to go to a gym any way best walking any ideas doing everthing i shoul do no reson why they have flared up taking gabapentin sitaglipin and paracetomal ta

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My only comment is that "about 10 on average" is not well down in my book. I have no idea what your diet is but I think you should do whatever is necessary to get your sugars lower.

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
it was 52 then a week in hospital on insulin never knew i had it was then admitted to hospital as a medical emergency i reaally do watch nmy food never it sugary stuff avoid all carbs bs frequently down to 6 but keeps going up to 10 no idea why what i eat i dont think is a factor thankyou

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10 is a lot higher than I would personally like to have my BG.
Diet has a big impact on blood sugars. I know you have said you are "eating good stuff " but be careful of the carb content. It isn't just sugar we have to watch out for. Cereal, potato, bread, pasta, rice are all things that will raise our BG.
What is your usual daily diet ?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @red1mot

Can I ask what medications you are on for your diabetes?
The reason I ask, is that if you are on insulin or gliclazide, or similar, then drastically cutting your carb intake may increase your risk of hypos, whereas if you aren't then as a type 2 diabetic, your chances of hypoing are much slimmer.

If you aren't on these drugs at the moment, then the advice to reduce the carb intake in your meals and snacks may help to reduce your blood glucose.

We have had a number of threads and discussions on how neuropathy pain and numbness can improve by tight blood glucose control, and the use of some nutritional supplements. Give me a few minutes, and I will try and find you some links. :)

Edited to add: Apologies - have just seen that you are on Sitagliptin, which does have a blood glucose lowering effect, so you should take care to lower carbs gradually, and monitor blood glucose carefully, if you do so.

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it was 52 then a week in hospital on insulin never knew i had it was then admitted to hospital as a medical emergency i reaally do watch nmy food never it sugary stuff avoid all carbs bs frequently down to 6 but keeps going up to 10 no idea why what i eat i dont think is a factor thankyou

I think you should try an almost NO carb diet to get your numbers really down and then after a few weeks go to a low carb diet where you eat less than 80-100 grams of carbs on the whole day...the most important would be if it was me to stop this neuropathy in progressing, and maybe if lucky have it reversed, and that can be impossible if ones blood glucose is over 6mmol in average... some even get it from a lower average...

it is up to you of cause but food choice is the main cure in diabetes 2 till now, the medications only are little sticks to lean at not really curing anything

and yes some have help from 600-800mg of R-alpha lipoic acid daily and Gabapentin

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thankyou you everyone suppose i was looking for some cure rather than meds anyone one seen the Dr Pearson video on msn guaratereed to get rid of it

Reactions: connie104

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have suffered from neuropathy in my left leg for quite a few years and after being referred to the pain clinic I was told that it was irreversible and nothing could be done except medication. I have tried Amiltrpyline

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry went to soon !!
Gabapentin,Pregablin and Duloxetine. None of these helped and a had side effects which I could not put up with .
I also have bad arthritis in my left knee and my doctor recently prescribed a short course of Codeine for the pain until I get to see the consultant in 4 weeks . After taking these for A couple of days the neuropathy has virtually gone just starts to come back when it's time for another tablet . This is the only thing that has taken away the pain in the last 7 years . I have now got to try and persuade my doctor to keep me on them .