Neuropathy

John_H

Comrades

I recently posted that Diabetes Forum contributors had helped me manage my diabetuc neuropathy symptoms. Unfortunately, the joy I expressed may have been premature. The unpleasant symptoms are slowly worsening and further nerve conduction tests are booked in May.

Last night, I came across the 1993 placebo-controlled, double-blind study of Keen et al (Diabetes Care. 1993 Jan;16(1):8-15) looking at the efficacy of 480 mg/day gamma linoleic acid in treating neuropathy symptoms in 111 patients. They found that it was effective and the differences between the parameters measured were statistiscally significant. Furthermore, the treatment was more effective in people (like me) with relatively well controlled blood glucose. Do any of you have anything to report on their experiences with linoleic acid - benefits, long-term/short-term side effects, dosage, availability on prescription etc. Thanks in advance.

John

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Hi,

I am a type 1 diabetic since the eigthies. Despite keep my blood sugars succesfully under control i suffer from considerable neuropathy in my feet. I was offered Lyrica for it but i dont take kindly to that so i stopped. But a few months my sister in law bought cream for me in the US especially for diabetic with neuropathy in feet. Its great!!! I will look up the brand tonight when i am at home. The pain i had in them is gone. IN the winter it is essential to keep your feet warm. I invested in a pair of Uggs slippers and they do wonders as well.

John_H

Thanks very much Maria. Looking forward to that. I've only been T1 since Sept 2015 and after diagnosis my weight continued to drop. Four or five months ago, I started eating much more to put the weight back on, without taking much notice of carbs. My daily intake was around 200g per day and I maintained good BG control (HbA1c consistently in the low 40 mmol/mol area). This was around the same time that the neuropathy symptoms worsened. Yesterday, I switched to a much lower carb intake and the symptoms are already improved. Maybe the combination of your cream, slippers and low-carbs will give me long-term relief. Neuropathy is the worst aspect of diabetes for me and it's difficult to stay positive when you have constant pain/discomfort.

maria030660

Dislikes
yes it is horrible and can be quite painful too. It seems as a T1 that if you solve one issue you get another back for it. You should ask your consultant for an EMG which will show the level of neuropathy you have and which parts are most affected.

John_H

Thanks again Maria. EMG late last year concluded that I had mild neuropathy in my feet. I've got another booked next month. Going to mooch around the interweb now for those slippers.

maria030660

Dislikes
amazon does good one, maybe not the original Uggs but a lot cheaper;)

maria030660

Dislikes
upload_2017-4-21_14-2-4.png

this is the stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

tsmith1995

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
American Diabetes Association: I became a Type 1 diabetic the summer of my 5th year - 70 years ago. The ADA was pitching the same old, tired rhetoric then as they are now: A cure is imminent!!! Pure malarkey!!! They can't even get a non-invasive glucose test mechanism to market in the US even though several are in use in Europe and Israel
Comrades

I recently posted that Diabetes Forum contributors had helped me manage my diabetuc neuropathy symptoms. Unfortunately, the joy I expressed may have been premature. The unpleasant symptoms are slowly worsening and further nerve conduction tests are booked in May.

Last night, I came across the 1993 placebo-controlled, double-blind study of Keen et al (Diabetes Care. 1993 Jan;16(1):8-15) looking at the efficacy of 480 mg/day gamma linoleic acid in treating neuropathy symptoms in 111 patients. They found that it was effective and the differences between the parameters measured were statistiscally significant. Furthermore, the treatment was more effective in people (like me) with relatively well controlled blood glucose. Do any of you have anything to report on their experiences with linoleic acid - benefits, long-term/short-term side effects, dosage, availability on prescription etc. Thanks in advance.

John
John
As to the gamma lineolic acid, I don't know. But I do know something that worked completely for me and that is a supplement from PURE FORMULAS called Revitalage Nerve. I am a 70 year T1 and 75 years old. When my foot pains got somewhat intense, my BHRT put me on the supplement and after 3 days my symptoms disappeared. One caveat - the instructions call for 2 per day and I use 4 - all early AM. Hope this helps. The ingredients are all natural.
Terry Smith