Neuropathy

norahcowpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, I am type 2 diabetic and have been for 14 years. Just over a year ago I was put on levemir and novo rapid after just a 20 minute consultation with the nurse. I didn't have a clue! I have suffered from peripheral neuropathy for many many years (I have a father and 2 brothers who are also diabetic)
My foot neuropathy has always been fairly well managed but a year ago became so painful and sore I could barely get home after work and I went on the sick.
At this point I demanded to see my GP which I did and was duly referred to the diabetic clinic at my local hospital. My medication was reviewed I was advised to lose weight and then referred to the arthritis department. I was NOT examined during this appointment but told to wear supportive shoes go on a low carb diet and do some daily exercise. I complied, my new regimen was Metformin 500mgms x 2 twice daily novorapid 20 units 3 x daily levemir 30 units twice a day, and 2.1 units of victoza on going to bed. I have done remarkably well. I have lost 5 kilos take 20 units of novo rapid and 40 units of levemir once daily IF required and 2.1 units of victoza at night.
Despite all of this my neuropathy is much worse. It is impossible for me to walk any distance for long I cannot do a supermarket shop at all as the premises are too big, even standing to do the ironing is agony. My podiatrist says it's all I can expect. My GP has referred me to the pain clinic. At this point I have to say that I have been prescribed ALL of the recommended drugs for my condition pregablin amytriptilene, duloxetine etc; all of them cause horrendous side effects. I am very depressed in a lot of pain sleeping poorly and feel I have no quality of life. I am 59 years old and feel 100! If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would really appreciate your input.
Thank you in advance.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your blood numbers running at?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have suffered from neuropathy in my left leg for some time. I have been under the pain clinic at the hospital to try and control the pain . I have tried quite a few different treatments which like you have had terrible side effects. At the moment I am on 40 mg of oxicodone twice a day and I seem to be asleep more than awake ! The pain clinic have now sent me back to consultant as no more they can do .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have tried them all and can't tolerate any of them . I was just advised to keep my hba1c as near to 6 as I can. Easier said than done

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

norahcowpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone, I am type 2 diabetic and have been for 14 years. Just over a year ago I was put on levemir and novo rapid after just a 20 minute consultation with the nurse. I didn't have a clue! I have suffered from peripheral neuropathy for many many years (I have a father and 2 brothers who are also diabetic)
My foot neuropathy has always been fairly well managed but a year ago became so painful and sore I could barely get home after work and I went on the sick.
At this point I demanded to see my GP which I did and was duly referred to the diabetic clinic at my local hospital. My medication was reviewed I was advised to lose weight and then referred to the arthritis department. I was NOT examined during this appointment but told to wear supportive shoes go on a low carb diet and do some daily exercise. I complied, my new regimen was Metformin 500mgms x 2 twice daily novorapid 20 units 3 x daily levemir 30 units twice a day, and 2.1 units of victoza on going to bed. I have done remarkably well. I have lost 5 kilos take 20 units of novo rapid and 40 units of levemir once daily IF required and 2.1 units of victoza at night.
Despite all of this my neuropathy is much worse. It is impossible for me to walk any distance for long I cannot do a supermarket shop at all as the premises are too big, even standing to do the ironing is agony. My podiatrist says it's all I can expect. My GP has referred me to the pain clinic. At this point I have to say that I have been prescribed ALL of the recommended drugs for my condition pregablin amytriptilene, duloxetine etc; all of them cause horrendous side effects. I am very depressed in a lot of pain sleeping poorly and feel I have no quality of life. I am 59 years old and feel 100! If anyone has any helpful suggestions I would really appreciate your input.
Thank you in advance.

norahcowpe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone my H b1ac is 45% and I usually get up to a 6.4 or lower and go to bed at around 8.0

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
HAve you tried low carb? I had mild neuropathy in my fingers and it cleared up in two weeks, after lowcarbing and stayed away. A month of gluttony and it was back. Not scientific but true

Cara

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you asked your doctor to do a full thyroid check as your symptoms are also the same as low thyroid count. Try thyroid.org.uk as they have a very good signs and symptoms checker that you can print and cross off the ones that you are experiencing and give this to your GP. I have to warn you though - your GP will probably not like that you are thinking outside of the box. They are after all the 'health care professionals' and we are just the ones in pain. I to have had pain for a long time but as I have had a spinal problem the diabetic consultant puts it down to that and the neurologist puts it down to the diabetes, a rock and a hard place.

Also, are you on statins (hate to use that word but-) if you are it could be related to them.

I hope you get this sorted as mobility is so important to us all but particularly those with this retched disease and I do know that being in pain is unbearable.

Carraway - love your post - it is true, it makes all the difference to me as well.

forty six

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HAve you tried low carb? I had mild neuropathy in my fingers and it cleared up in two weeks, after lowcarbing and stayed away. A month of gluttony and it was back. Not scientific but true

Cara

My experience bears that out, Cara, I had mild problems and they went within 2 days of going on the Newcastle Diet. That was 3 weeks ago and so far they haven't been back.

I'm not putting the flags out yet (as my granny used to say), rather I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the relief isn't just temporary.

Reactions: 2 people

Zhizara

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you in advance.

I was diagnosed with diabetes one year ago. At that time I told the PA about my foot pains and was immediately prescribed Gabapentin 300mg twice a day. It worked! Recently I had a relapse of the pains I took an extra Gabapentin and the pains stopped in about an hourl.

I had my one year checkup on Tuesday and asked the doctor to make it 3 times a day, so I wouldn't run out.

The pains are terrible. You can't concentrate on anything because it just interrupts your mind's focus.

I can't begin to tell you how relieved to have the pain under control.

I did learn something from this last attack. I searched the internet and found that it was caused by too much glucose in my system, and in this case it turned out to be caused by egg noodles - lots of them.

It's an ongoing learning curve to find out what to change about your diet.