1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Ambitious Goal

Discussion in 'Diabetes Events' started by oldnevada, Jul 18, 2016.

1. oldnevada

oldnevada Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm a sixty three year old guy. I love to road bike, jog. It keeps my BG levels at a great level. I also love to hike, and enjoy the forest it's fragrances and natural history. For several years I have dreamed of completing my long distance trek in Vermont (U.S.A.). I feel safe with this challenge as my road cycling shows me that stressful exercise does not give me hypos. On the contrary keeps my BG stable (along with my Glyburide and Metformin.) I have in addition successfully completed two Montreal Half Marathons, 2008 '09. I'm also challenged with PTSD so this goal is a terrific expression of living and being excited about life.

• Like Like x 6
    #1 oldnevada, Jul 18, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  2. LivingLoud

LivingLoud Type 2 · Active Member

Awesome, I am very jealous. My wife and I used to love long treks, we've done Kilimanjaro and up in the Himalayas. But all that stopped when we had a child as you can't easily drag a little on these adventures. Hopefully we'll be back out there when the little one grows up. Trekking is actually one of my key strength pillars that keeps me motivated. I want to go see all these great place. Good luck and happy trekking

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Love it!

I absolutely envy you. Used to do a lot of walking in my youth, but bad knees now limit me quite a lot. Just walk the dogs daily now.

There is nothing likeit, is there? The sun and the wind and the Great Outdoors. Fortunately we live within reach of some fantastic scenery, and often choose holiday spots based on local dog walking opportunities.

Have at it - and enjoy!

• Like Like x 2
  4. oldnevada

oldnevada Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the late reply/acknowledgement. My BG has been so stable I have only been checking sporadically. I had my worst hypo this morning a couple of hours after breakfast, 3.2. But that may be good, meaning that, maybe the 20lbs I've lost so far is helping drive down/reverse my diabetes?
    I haven't been able to realize my long distance hiking dream this year. Once my weight is down more and have the finances, I take another crack at it next spring/summer. I appreciate the reply..

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook